Stern Drive Shifter Cable...

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I must have routed my new cable thru the wrong way or my exaust manifold must be way too hot. Because it melted today and we were pretty lucky it was still in forward gear when I smelled it melting the outer jacket, and we were 2 hours from the Marina. can someone tell me the proper path this cable needs to follow as to avoid this happening again.

1986 170 4cyl

I had the cable go straight back from the linkage assy hang a nice left behind the motor, once on the left side a nice sweep down and back to the outdrive, nice and easy, Im confused I thought it went kinda straight back, Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stern Drive Shifter Cable...

The fact that it melted at all means you have a problem with the cooling system. Start by looking at the impeller.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don.
Yea I would guess so it seems. but the whole time driving back the coolant temp never seemed to rise above the middle of the guage per say. But i have to agree I will pull the drive down and have a look. just sucks I replaced the cable only to cook it again,

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

was the old cable cooked too? right there was a sign something was wrong.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first one (origional) failed due to corrosion about 2 years ago, the 2nd one I thought I might have routed it wrong and allowed it to get hot, it lasted untill last weekend, so I didnt think there was a mechanical issue since the temp guage was looking good. And believe me I check them all very frequently, as I dont like suprises.

I guess what threw me was that all seemed normal, The impeller was only 2yrs old, Lesson learned. But on the positive note now I can change your outdrive cable in a matter of a few minutes..