Engine Cuts Out

gl28R

Recruit
2003 Doral 192 BR, MCM 4.3MPI, OM622542
Engine cut out several times, just like turning the ignition off, restarted each time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Cuts Out

What was you doing when it cut out.

gl28R

Recruit

Engine completely cut out several times, just like shutting the ignition off. Happened at varying RPM and restarted each time. Seemed less likely to happen at lower RPM.
After doing what I could myself and with no resolve except for discovering the alarm beeper disconnected, I took the boat to the local Merc Dealer. They downloaded codes [94- pilot pressure circuit low; 75- fuel level circuit level high; 119- steering circuit low; 130- twin sensor high]. They determined these to be "soft" codes and would not result with engine shutdown. Their experience led to fuel; they removed the fuel filter and discovered 40/60 water/fuel; a new filter was installed and the engine restarted and codes erased. The boat has a new fuel pump.
I took boat home and completely drained and swabbed the fuel tank and added new fuel. A 1/2hr test run, boat ran well. Next day straight run for about 1.5hrs, no problem,beached for about 1hr, 5 minutes running after restarting the alarm sounded, 2 consecutive beeps every minute or so, engine cut out about 10 minutes later (running around 3000RPM); restarted and engine cut out 2 more times as I limped home; got home and removed the fuel filter; no water; reinstalled the filter and went for 15 minute run; drifted for about 1/2hr restarted and ran another 10 minutes or so OK again.
I am sure the issue is not resolved. It is terribly expensive to again have codes read at $125 plus $70/hr for trouble shooting. I am considering removing the fuel rail to rule out water there........???????

Don S

Not every problem sets a code. Normally a problem like yours is caused by a loose or corroded connection somewhere. A simple wiggle test of the wiring while running may find the problem.

gl28R

Recruit

I've tried the wiggle test but I think I could go back at it with the lanyard safety switch and key switch in mind.....thanks

Don S

Make sure your battery connections are tight as well. Use a wrench with regular nuts. NOT wingnuts and finger tight.
Don't forget that all battery cables have 2 ends.

gl28R

Recruit

Did the wiggle test and found the issue to be at the main 9 pin harness connection between the engine and the instrumentation. It seemed to be within the instrumentation side of the connection. i sliced open the rubber housing and removed one conductor at a time expecting to find an arc burn from a broken connector or failed insulation or maybe two conductors touching each other....found none.
As I was removing each conductor I was inserting them back directly into the engine (female) side of the harness and i noted some of them being sloppy and not tight fitting. After not finding what I had expected to I went back to each conductor and opened the split in the end of each aluminum pin.... there I think lies the problem. Ran the boat twice since and seemed to be fine. I suppose I could have saved a few hours of effort had simply opened the pins in the first place. However, I will now replace the instrument side of the harness with a new one and move on. Don S. ......thanks for the suggestion.....simple old "wiggle test"