Mercruiser 120- trim stuck down after bump with submersed object

paul ages

Cadet
1968 Fiberform Continental with 120 Mercruiser Sterndrive (2 hose trim).

I bumped a submersed pile not listed on my charts and dinged my prop a bit... and after putting the boat on the trailer the trim wouldn't go up. Considering the circumstances, I don't believe it to be a solenoid problem. The fluid is full as well, and the pump runs when I push the "Trailer" button. Am I looking at possibly bent hydraulic ram, or is there some other internal device that may have been tripped?

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Mercruiser 120- trim stuck down after bump with submersed object

In order to bend one of those SS trim rams, you'd have to COLLIDE with something(as opposed to a mere "bump") I'd think.

You say the pump "runs" when you push the "trailer" button...but not the trim. Does the unit move at all when the "trailer" button is used, or does the pump just "run"? How did you get the unit to the "up" position to tow?

paul ages

Cadet

In order to bend one of those SS trim rams, you'd have to COLLIDE with something(as opposed to a mere "bump") I'd think.

You say the pump "runs" when you push the "trailer" button...but not the trim. Does the unit move at all when the "trailer" button is used, or does the pump just "run"? How did you get the unit to the "up" position to tow?

We weren't on a plane when it happened, probably only 5-10 MPH. We almost didn't notice it, but both looked at each other as if to ask the other if he had heard it.

To trailer it, I just removed the rams from the outdrive and used a ratchet strap to hold it up for the ride home. At the shop doing basic tests I got them to extend an inch or so, but after retracting them they wouldn't do so again. The pump "runs," making the same noise it makes when the arms actually extend, raising the outdrive, but the hydraulic rams don't actually move. Should I loosen the hydraulic fittings and try extending them by hand? I suppose I could at least see then if the pump is trying to push fluid...

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Test pump pressure if you can. Disconnect rams and cycle by hand. Possible that valve stuck. Try hitting trim up/down/up. To see if that frees it up.

paul ages

Cadet

Test pump pressure if you can. Disconnect rams and cycle by hand. Possible that valve stuck. Try hitting trim up/down/up. To see if that frees it up.

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home.

paul ages

Cadet

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home.

I only had a few minutes to play with it, but I have found this out: the pump does not send fluid to the rams when the "UP" position is pushed and the pump motor runs. I loosened the fittings on the port-side ram, and the "DOWN" position squirted hydraulic oil. The "UP" position did nothing. However; with the lines loose the rams would still not extend.