Mercruiser 3.0 starter fuse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayfarupnorth

Recruit
I was reading http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=553627 "Bad fuse on solenoid?" My 2010 Bayliner 185 BR with a 3.0 L Mercruiser has a related problem.

Here's the fuse fuse MER88-79023A91.jpg.

My fuse isn't blown. All the bolts seem tight, but it has a tiny bit of play - less than 1 mm. I'm able to pull the white cube up and down just that tiny bit.

When it's down, I have no power at the ignition switch. It acts like an ignition disconnect. Guages and low-oil-pressure warning are dead and no starter cranking. Everything else works, trim/tilt, horn, blower, radio, lights, bilge pump. But if I pull the white cube on the fuse up, everything works.

Here's my question:
Is the fuse made like this, can it be tightened so it doesn't "click" up and down any more, or do I need to replace the fuse?

I've seen postings from others with dead ignition switches, so I'll go into a bit more detail in case it helps anybody. It took me a long time to figure this out. I'd suddenly find myself with no starting, then mess around with everything I could find: breaker on top of motor, starter wires, battery connection, ignition key switch, under-dash and in-line fuses, try to trace tangled wires. Never did have a multimeter along when I had the problem, and it never malfunctioned at home on the trailer. I was mislead for a while, because by tripping the breaker on top of the engine, I could duplicate the problem when my ignition was working, but when it wasn't working, resetting the breaker did nothing to fix it.

Yesterday (only stuck a half mile from the dock) I finally had my wife keep turning the key on and off after I tightened the nuts on the starter wire. Nothing. But when I pulled up on the fuse the warning horn suddenly sounded. Pushed it down, it shut off. Cycled it a few times to make sure that was it, and went boating comfortably the rest of the afternoon. Now I know what's wrong and have a reliable temporary fix, but I want a more durable solution.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 starter fuse problem

Easy fix, replace the fuse problems over.

wayfarupnorth

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 starter fuse problem

Easy fix, replace the fuse problems over.

Yeah, but a warning to others: take it easy tightening the main cable when remounting the fuse. The rear end of the solenoid is made of Bakelite. I snugged it up too much and busted the lug right out of the solenoid. :mad:
No longer an easy fix.

IMG_9740 (Small).JPG

IMG_9736 (Small).JPG

I'm sending the starter assembly to a shop in Yellowknife for repairs.

DoubleDuse

Recruit
A word to the wise, and I hate to admit it after working on boats for the last 18 years in the service. But if you accidently connect the battery backwards it will pop that little booger as well. No power to anything right now. I guess they go for about $125, but I've found them online ranging from $25-$35.

Status
Not open for further replies.