Basic tune up for 5.0 mercruiser...........

cscards

Cadet
Hey guys or gals....Trying to save a little money getting ready for the boating season this year. I was wanting to do a basic tune up on my engine....plugs, wires, dist cap, oil change....<br /><br />What else should I do?<br /><br />How much of this can I get at Autozone compared to going to a boat dealer?<br /><br />Starts good with a little throttle, idles a little rough. Dies sometimes when you let off the throttle to quick. Takes a couple seconds to get up and go (sometimes backfires) any suggestions?<br /><br />1992 Glassport/180 Euro w/ 5.0 mercruiser.<br /><br />Thanks.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Basic tune up for 5.0 mercruiser...........

It might be wise to do a compression test before you do anything else.<br /><br />If water pump impeller is over two years old change it. <br />*Should also pull the drive off and check the engine alignment <br />*Grease u-joints <br />*Check/grease gimble bearing <br />*Check all boots/bellows <br />*Check water supply hose in gimble housing<br />*Change the gear lube in the drive <br />*If shift cable is over five years old change it while drive is off <br />*Grease all grease points <br />*Check all belts and hoses <br />*Check/clean all battery cable connection both ends including grounds <br />*Change spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor<br />*Change fuel filter<br />*Check/set ignitiong timing<br />*Check carb adjustment and idle speed<br />*Clean flame arrestor<br /><br />Parts from AutoZone?? :rolleyes: Oil and maybe filter. Maybe plugs, maybe wires if you know what to ask for but the coil wire will probably be wrong, cap and rotor nope.