• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Gear Lube Monitor Kit

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Lube Monitor Kit

I have a 1991 Alpha 1 (Gen II) drive and it does not have a Gear Lube Monitor. I was looking to install one and was wondering if anyone had experience doing this. Looking at the kit, I see that it comes with what appears to be a transom gasket. I can't find any installation instructions anywhere online. Is the outdrive pre-set for the upgrade? Or will I have to take the outdrive apart and the bellows off to run the hose to the drive? I am hoping it is a fairly simple install where I do all the work under the engine cowling. I included a picture of the inside behind the motor where I believe the gear lube hose mounts behind the engine and at the transom (The brass hex screw). I also included a picture of the kit I was going to order depending on how complex the install is. Click image for larger version

Name:	9ca6c58f3a094b5e2f441d2477d9575c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	142248Click image for larger version

Name:	e09c279da0df00a604efc508e820f0fd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	142249

Re: Gear Lube Monitor Kit

That's the kit you want. Yes, the allen plug needs to be removed. No, you shouldn't have to pull the bellows but when was the last time they were changed?
    It's not a quick thing to do. What makes you think you need it? just curious, boats already over 20yrs old.

Comment

Do you know why the kit includes the gasket/transom seal?

The bellows are in good condition. No cracking or rot and the clamp is in great condition. The bellows were replaced about 5 years ago.

The only reason I want to add the monitor is just so I can keep track of the gear lube throughout the season. I change it every Spring and visually check it in the Fall. I always check the engine oil, steering fluid and trim fluid but i don't regularly check the gear oil before going out on the lake. I discovered the kit when I was talking to a buddy about his boat and he told me he was low on gear lube in his drive monitor. I knew I didn't have a drive monitor but then I saw an older Mercruiser with the other kit (round bottle) that goes through the hull and screws in to the vent screw. After a little browsing online, I found this kit and found it is compatible with the generation ii alpha 1. With shipping the kit sells for $120.00 online.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by TJC1891 View Post
        Do you know why the kit includes the gasket/transom seal?
        If you're asking about the gasket that's in the left side of the picture under the rubber hose, that's the drive to bell housing gasket so the instructions must have you pulling the drive. The thing is when pulling the drive it's best to replace more than just that gasket with the proper $10 gasket set and glue/lube as the manual indicates when replacing the drive.

Mark
        Buy any boat and become a BOATER
        Then open threads that start:
        My boat is a ___and I need help with __
        My engine is a __and I need help with __
        My outdrive is a __and I need help with __
        Buying non-OEM: shop here on IBOATS

-2nd round:
        2001 SeaRay270 Sundancer 7.4mpi (0m022102) B3 (sn ?, 2.0)-current
        2005 Maxum 1900sr3 4.3mpi A1G2(sold)
        -1st round in the 80's:
        198x Sea Ray 210 cuddy 260hp Merc A1