1996 Mercruiser-Not sure If the Shift Interrupt switch or need Shift cable adjustment

m23anderson

Recruit
Ok I am going to give a long story to get to the assumtion I have came up with.

-Was out on the Lake riding around fishing, nothing hardcore just trolling along and occational speed to new spot (this for about 2 hours). I then decide to cool off, Drive to the middle of the lake then pull boat in reverse, as to slow the drifting of it from me when I jump in, and then placed in neutral and killed it. I swim for a short time and jump on boat and try to start, boat would not start and would not start. I try a few times because the boat sometimes doesnt start first 1-3 tries, however after 6 tries I start looking around... Check my prop and there it is rope around the prop. (which I had no idea due to nobody tubing and the tube still tied up, but the end looped on my tow hook had came off) Any way I jump in and untangle rope, it was still in fine condition and not hurt and prop was moving freely. I go to start and it fires up. I let it run for a moment in neutral, It sounds as strong as ever. I get back to seat and push forward and it dies... I was thinking ok maybe it needs to run. I repeat same happens. I try reverse, boom reverse is perfect no odd sounds nothing. I then place back to neutral, that shift goes well also. I try forward again... Dies. I end up having to travel back to the doc in reverse.

- I fool around basically looking for something to jump out as it being broke or disconnected nothing.
-I do my internet searching, run into all of the issues similar.
-Narrow myself to the LowerShift Cable adjustment, and the Interrupt Switch being faulty.
-Back to the Dock, I Remove the lower cable and push shifter full forward then push in on the cable as a buddy turns my prop counter clockwise until stops.Doing this I place back holding so tight as not not let it push back from as far as cable would go ( which was not needed but I was not risking) as I place the cable back ( I am suppose to have to adjust the upper cable to fit the this) however it is the exact same distance. So I reconnect everything, without ever going through the steps for reverse and turning prop ( which may have been mistake... let me know if I should preform both. And I will.)

-So now I move to testing my Interupt switch, I place in neutral and push switch down kills boat, I pull switch up.. kills boat... so switch works.

- Then I try watching what switch does from neutral to the gears, From Neutral to reverse the witch stays. From Neutral to forward... the switch is moving and killing. ( this is not suppose to happen from neutral to a gear, only from a gear to neutral ... From what I have read.) *Thx DON S. he gave great detail in previous Forums.

So now I have the questions.
1.) Is my Interrupt switch bad and causing the issue? OR
2.) Is my Lowershift cable still out of alignment and causing the switch to activate while going into forward.
3.)How else can I test this?

* More info - I took the boat out of my slip to try some troubleshooting.

I had a buddy Hold the small rolling will that should stay in the ditch ( on the switch) he held it firm from moving and I can smoothly go to forward with no issues, and then when I need I just do the normal back to neutral and it worked perfect as always. Reverse is also perfect with out any need to hold or help it along. so I found out the switch is killing me forsure.. Still dunno y?

- Next if for trouble shooting purposes could i unplug the switch, and then go to forward without issue. However main thing is getting back to neutral... So I am asking if with switch disconnected could I got to forward then cruise where I need, then if needed just kill the key, ( would killing the key act as the switch as far as no load on gears and them return to neutral?) Then to restart just place leaver in neutral and restart?

*** One other thing I did notice. If I go from neutral to forward really fast ( Im not talking about a quick firm push as your suposed to do) I am talking basically as fast as you can push it for about 1in distance it takes to shift in to gear with out any great deal of throttle. IF I do that it will got into forward and run fine, however that is not solving anythign just lets me further know that if I do it that fast I dont allow the switch to really affect the gear shifting.

Please let me know what you think I should do, I assume either adjustment or replacing either cable or switch is going to happen, just needing to pinpoint this a little further. THANKS IN ADVANCE -Mike

--

BuckBates

Recruit
Re: 1996 Mercruiser-Not sure If the Shift Interrupt switch or need Shift cable adjust

I'm having the very same problem with a 1966 FiberForm with a MerCruiser 110. Did you figure it out or ever get a reply?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Mercruiser-Not sure If the Shift Interrupt switch or need Shift cable adjust

Too old of a thread, best to start a new one with your issues

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi BuckBates

:welcome: aboard.

As this thread is well over a year old, It's probably best to start your own thread. You'll get more answers that way....

Thanks....

attachment.php

Attachments

• New thread.jpg
    New thread.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1