alpha 1 clicking when put in gear

Coryb

Seaman
I have been doing some DIY repairs on my Sea Ray for the past couple months and a couple days ago, after I put my rebuilt Mercarb back on, I was trying to set the idle close to were I need it until I can get it on the lake. While the boat was idling, I put the control in forward gear and the lower unit on the outdrive had a clicking or ratcheting sound coming from it. Prop not turning. I shut the engine off, put it back in forward gear and checked the prop by turning it by hand. It spins freely in forward direction and clicks in the reverse direction. Unsure about why it might do this? I had the outdrive off a few weeks ago, and I thought that I removed and replaced it the right way but obviously something moved or something is wrong. Could it just need an adjustment? My outdrive serial # is OD479322. I was also told that someone on here might be kind enough to get me a download for a service manual? Any help would be great!

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: alpha 1 clicking when put in gear

This is undoubtedly an adjustment issue.

Either you have put the shift lever back on the wrong spline when you put the lower unit back on......unlikely....or your shift cable requires adjustment.....more likely.

Don S gave me access to Mercruiser PDF's which are invaluable, I'm sure he'll be along soon. However, try adjusting your shift cables at the shift assembly.

What year alpha one? and what engine are you running. We'll see what we can do for the guide ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That serial number is not for your drive, but for your transom shield. Which is a 1990 model in case you want to know.
Here is a file on only the shift cable adjustment for your drive. Follow all of it, and it will work. If not, then you probably need a new cable.

View attachment A1 Shift Cable Adjust.pdf

Coryb

Seaman

Sorry, correct #'s are 0D463260 for the drive, and 0D430866 for engine. Thanks Don S., I will give the cable adjustment manual a try and see what happens.