4.3L engine block swap

Savinurazz

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I'm new here I and have a question about doing a block swap for 4.3L Mercruiser. The question I'm having is the original block is an 85. The block I have to swap it out is a 89-90. The reason why I'm swapping the blocks out is because the 85 has a crack actually multiple cracks in the block do not being winterized :facepalm:(that's how I traded a PS3 for boat and trailer:D). The 89 to 90 block I found for $200 it has been rebuilt and left in the garage. The major difference I see is in the size and the bolthole location on the flywheel. The major differences I've found between that 85 and the 90 Block/engine is the 80-90 flywheel is thinner, smaller in diameter and has a smaller bolt pattern bolts to the crank the one that came off the 85 which is the one I was actually on my boat is much larger thicker flywheel wider hole pattern. Is there any way to make it work? Can I pull everything from the 85 engine and drop it into the 89-90 block or are there differences that I'm not seeing:confused:? I have looked up info on both blocks here is the link

http://www.enginepartswarehouse.com/enginecatalog/GENERALMOTORS.PDF

Please if anyone can help with some info I would love the help.

P.S.
I'm in the USCG and am trying to do this as cheap as I can because I have limited cash lol:D

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 4.3L engine block swap

you'll just need the coupler and flywheel off a 4.3 post 1987.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=110301&gd_row=55&session_id=671246403
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/flywheel-1987-later-engines-diameter-p-152.html
Or, if your current coupler is the triangular style, you may find a newer flywheel that has the same drilled/tapped holes allowing you to reuse your coupler. If your coupler mounts with the flywheel bolts, you need a newer one.
triangular style on left:
Couplers-WEB_170_93.jpg

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you really want to compare marine engines and parts go to this sight Mercruiserparts.com. ...USA ....

Savinurazz

Recruit

Thanks for the replys! I just went and measured both flywheels the 85 is 14 inches and the 89-90 is 13 inches. So you put a link to a 14 inch flywheel and a triangle coupler that both would mount to the 89-90 motor? The coupler that came with the boat mounts with the flywheel mount bolts so I wouldn't be able to use either of them. That's a bummer but I can handle it lol. If anyone knows where I can find a cheap pair (flywheel and coupler) that would be awesome but if I have to buy new I will.

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep 14" fly with triangle coupler works. best place to find one E-bay.com part # flywheel 222-9518 coupler # 18643a7 the coupler and flywheel can be aftermarket.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the replys! I just went and measured both flywheels the 85 is 14 inches and the 89-90 is 13 inches. So you put a link to a 14 inch flywheel and a triangle coupler that both would mount to the 89-90 motor? The coupler that came with the boat mounts with the flywheel mount bolts so I wouldn't be able to use either of them. That's a bummer but I can handle it lol. If anyone knows where I can find a cheap pair (flywheel and coupler) that would be awesome but if I have to buy new I will.

Ayuh,.... Just leave the 12" flywheel on the new motor, as it mates to the starter, 'n use a conversion coupler by Sierra, part # 18-2172...

I think iboats carries 'em, 'n I know Napa can order 'em....

Yer new block, May, or may Not be drilled to use the staggered bolt starter, for the 14" flywheel...

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sie part 18-2172 will work.. for $250.00 NIB