305 needs replaced, Found a 98 350 Vortec Problems?

Azee

Cadet
I have a 88 305 one piece rear main seal that needs to be replaced, bottom end out. I found a 98 Vortec 350 that has been rebuilt then wrecked, it has less than 500 miles on it (truck) Whan kind of problems am I looking at if I use this motor for the swap?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: 305 needs replaced, Found a 98 350 Vortec Problems?

and this is going into a ??????

since this is the mercruiser sub-formum, we will assume its a mercruiser drive.

since this is a truck motor into a marine application
you will need to replace the core plugs with brass ones
you may need to replace the head gaskets
you will need to buy a new intake for the vortec heads
you will need to transfer your marine electrics from your '88 305 (starter, alternator, distributor)
you will need to use the 305 exhaust manifolds (or buy new)

TilliamWe

Banned

Scott gives you a good list. Headgaskets shouldn't be a problem, though. The Intake manifold is the one "big" thing you'll have to buy.

Azee

Cadet

Thank you for the Quick responses. It will be going in an 81 23' Cobia with Alpha 1 and closed water system.
I just want to make sure there was nothing out of the norm with the newer engine that I was not aware of.

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you for the Quick responses. It will be going in an 81 23' Cobia with Alpha 1 and closed water system.
I just want to make sure there was nothing out of the norm with the newer engine that I was not aware of.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Just the Intake bolt pattern, 'n the new block won't be drilled for a mechanical fuel pump, you'll need to go electric, 'n wire it properly....