2002 238 crownline db needs new engine. I have a few questions

kearney

Recruit
I have a neighbor who is selling his 2002 crownline 238 deckboat w/5.7 mercruiser for $14,000.00 Its beautiful. He had an engine problem with it the first time he took it out this year. He took it to the mechanic and they took off one of the heads and they said it needed a new engine and it also had water in the oil...This is all i know about it. Ive been reading the forums and learning a lot...ive done a lot of work on 350 engines and know my way around one...I am unfamiliar with boat engines though. I have a couple of questions. Could i just get a Rapido long block and swap all the components and be good to go? would this be a 2 piece or 1 piece rear main seal? Is there other things i should look to replace? Would this price of $14k be worth it if i spend 2k on the new engine? Thanks guys.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 2002 238 crownline db needs new engine. I have a few questions

You can get the serial number of the engine and then identify the specifics of it a little better. A long block of same/similar year from Rapido would do the trick, then you can swap all the other stuff.

Another point is that you may be able to repair the original engine . . . may be cheaper to swap out though. Rapido may want the original block (core) or else an additional core charge may apply.

Use NADA guides for value reference . . . it shows about $21000 for this boat in good condition. So, $14K may be a good price.

kearney

Recruit

I've heard you can just use a truck long block. The boat will never see salt water.I know the plugs need to be brass but is the head gasket ok the way it is?

tpenfield

Staff member

head gaskets are also different. stanless steel. with some engines there are gasket hole patterns that are different., but mostly truck engines are similar to marine engines.

Also, the cam is going to be different on the truck versus marine.

kearney

Recruit

So the safest bet would to just get the remanufactured long block and be done.

tpenfield

Staff member

Only if you have a truck that is ready to donate its engine . . . then you could swap out the head gasket, core plugs and cam at a reasonable cost.

If you are buying, than no real financial advantage to go with a truck engine, so might as well get the right thing.