Only getting oil out of one push rod.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have this 5.7L I've been working on for a few months now, fresh rebuild, I've ran a few tanks of gas through it now but it wasn't performing like I thought it should and it developed what sounds like a valve tick. Also....ever since the rebuild I haven't been getting any oil pressure on the gauge, but I hooked a manual one up and it was good so I figured sender was bad....not sure if that info is applicable. Anyways. I took the valve cover off and started the engine, I had the little oil clips on but it didn't take long for me to realize they were doing no good as oil was only lightly coming out of one of the rods. I also found that on an exhaust valve one of the spring rings at the top was broke off and making all the noise. Where should I start?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Only getting oil out of one push rod.

I have this 5.7L I've been working on for a few months now, fresh rebuild, I've ran a few tanks of gas through it now but it wasn't performing like I thought it should and it developed what sounds like a valve tick. Also....ever since the rebuild I haven't been getting any oil pressure on the gauge, but I hooked a manual one up and it was good so I figured sender was bad....not sure if that info is applicable. Anyways. I took the valve cover off and started the engine, I had the little oil clips on but it didn't take long for me to realize they were doing no good as oil was only lightly coming out of one of the rods. I also found that on an exhaust valve one of the spring rings at the top was broke off and making all the noise. Where should I start?

Ayuh,.... How many psi, at what rpm is Good,..??

If yer Good, you can change out the broken valve spring, Without pullin' the head....

What's the compression numbers,..??

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow so I went to retest the oil pressure since I couldn't remember the exact number and it was near nothing. Previously I was sitting at approx 20 psi @ 700 RPM now it's near 4 psi. Oil pump?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Did you rebuild the motor? Is the valve lash set correctly,you have a broken spring so mabe they were set wrong. I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing but I've seen low oil pressure when the valves are set to loose. Just my guess at this point.
Grub

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

How did you pre-oil the motor before the initial start?
what was the indicated oil pressure ?

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I did the rebuilt...everything but setting the new cam bearings. No worries Grub you're not gonna offend me, obviously I did something wrong here. I pre-pressurized using the shaft of an old dist hooked to a drill, got the pressure up to 60 psi ran the drill for a min or so and called it good.

I think the issue is wrong distributor for the block. The block serial number is something like 664332 and the one it replaced is 0kkk757 so the externals I used are much newer than the block. I just pulled out an old points dist and held it next to this thunderbolt iv that's installed in this motor and there is a difference in the groves at the bottom. I believe this groove is responsable to plug the rear galleys so to supply oil to the lifters. I put the older points distributor in the block and it fit much tighter. if this is indeed the problem what do I do? I'd sure hate to switch this back to points. What do people do with older blocks that want to switch it to the thunderbolt ign? Do they also typically have this same issue.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I did the rebuilt...everything but setting the new cam bearings. No worries Grub you're not gonna offend me, obviously I did something wrong here. I pre-pressurized using the shaft of an old dist hooked to a drill, got the pressure up to 60 psi ran the drill for a min or so and called it good.

I think the issue is wrong distributor for the block. The block serial number is something like 664332 and the one it replaced is 0kkk757 so the externals I used are much newer than the block. I just pulled out an old points dist and held it next to this thunderbolt iv that's installed in this motor and there is a difference in the groves at the bottom. I believe this groove is responsable to plug the rear galleys so to supply oil to the lifters. I put the older points distributor in the block and it fit much tighter. if this is indeed the problem what do I do? I'd sure hate to switch this back to points. What do people do with older blocks that want to switch it to the thunderbolt ign? Do they also typically have this same issue.

Anyone heard of such a thing?