1975 Sea Ray Mercruiser power steering question

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice
I hope this is in the right area, this is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased a 1975 Sea Ray SRV 190 with a 188 Mercruiser 302 and what I think is the earliest generation outdrive. My issue is difficult steering. It turns freely on the trailer and not bad going slowly, but under power it is very difficult to turn the wheel. It has some type if rack and pinion deal under the dash that says it is non servicable. Also, I think there is some type if electric assisted ram mounted to the transom that is supposed to be the power assist part? There is no pump that runs off the engine. Can someone fill me in a little on how these systems work and what these parts are so I can begin to possibly diagnose it? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice
1975 Sea Ray Mercruiser power steering question

I hope this is in the right area, this is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased a 1975 Sea Ray SRV 190 with a 188 Mercruiser 302 and what I think is the earliest generation outdrive. My issue is difficult steering. It turns freely on the trailer and not bad going slowly, but under power it is very difficult to turn the wheel. It has some type of rack and pinion deal under the dash that says it is non servicable. Also, I think there is some type if electric assisted ram mounted to the transom that is supposed to be the power assist part? There is no pump that runs off the engine. Can someone fill me in a little on how these systems work and what these parts are so I can begin to possibly diagnose it? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1975 Sea Ray Mercruiser power steering question

I hope this is in the right area, this is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased a 1975 Sea Ray SRV 190 with a 188 Mercruiser 302 and what I think is the earliest generation outdrive. My issue is difficult steering. It turns freely on the trailer and not bad going slowly, but under power it is very difficult to turn the wheel. It has some type if rack and pinion deal under the dash that says it is non servicable. Also, I think there is some type if electric assisted ram mounted to the transom that is supposed to be the power assist part? There is no pump that runs off the engine. Can someone fill me in a little on how these systems work and what these parts are so I can begin to possibly diagnose it? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... No electric power steerin' I've ever heard of,... got a Picture,..??

My guess is, yer Prop might be the issue, along with the torque tab, mounted just over, 'n aft of the prop...

If it steered hard, All the time, I'd look Inside the aluminum tube, on the aft cable end,...
Corrosion, 'n lack of grease is common...

Bondo

Staff member

this is my first post on this forum.

Ayuh,.... Now it's yer 2nd,.... Use yer Refresh button....

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Now it's yer 2nd,.... Use yer Refresh button....

Sorry about that. Yes it steers great on the trailer and at the dock, but like I said under power, not so much. could it just have manual steering and I mistakenly though the item on the transom was a steering ram? I cant get pics now, the boat is up at the lake and I am down here working till next weekend. Just thought I would put out the question so I could bring parts up with me if necessary.

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry about that. Yes it steers great on the trailer and at the dock, but like I said under power, not so much. could it just have manual steering and I mistakenly though the item on the transom was a steering ram? I cant get pics now, the boat is up at the lake and I am down here working till next weekend. Just thought I would put out the question so I could bring parts up with me if necessary.

Ayuh,... My guess is, ya Don't have P/S...

My post above still applies, for tunin', 'n fixin' it....

Got a spare prop,..?? Try it... I've seen props that just won't work on a particular hull before...

haulnazz15

Captain

You are probably mistaking the trim position sender as a power steering unit. The sender is mounted on top of the transom bracket behind the engine and has two wires coming out of it, as well as two hydraulic hoses. You don't likely have power steering. Do you have a fin on your outdrive above the prop? When is the last time you greased the steering arm zerk on the top of the gimbal housing?

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I am thinking you are correct haulnazz. I rally had no idea what that part is, but that makes perfect sense. I greased all three of the fittings on the gimbal housing before I put it in the water last week. There is a bit of play in the steering so it looks like I will have to dig a little deeper. I am going back up next weekend so I will really look into it then. Last weekend was the maiden voyage so there was a lot to do and check out. I kinda ran out of time.

haulnazz15

Captain

What about the fin just above the prop? If that fin is missing or is adjusted improperly, it can make steering difficult. Also, make sure you are trimming the drive up enough when going fast. Otherwise the steering will be heavy and subject to bow steer because too much of it is in the water.

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice

The fin above the prop is there, in good shape, and tilted slightly left if I remember, but only very slightly. The trim was maybe a touch on the low side, but I have to experiment with the different settings and see. Thanks for the help guys and I'll let you know what I find.