Missing Clamp on Shift Cable Bellows

FreeBeeTony

Captain
While inspecting my u-joint bellows I noticed a clamp missing from the shift cable bellows. The clamp miissing was on the smaller end of the bellows.<br /><br />Any ideas on what problems this could cause?<br /><br />I bought the boat last season when it was in the water........

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Missing Clamp on Shift Cable Bellows

There usually is not a clamp there,just a metal crimp.If there is nothing ,put a QUALITY zip tie on it with the zip side facing the outside and cut of extra.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

So nothing to worry about here?<br /><br />Thought I might have had water where I didn't want any!

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Don't know right now.........will check tomorrow.<br /><br />Thought I remembered nothing there........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those metal crimp rings are made of steel and in salt water don't last long. I've always used the Mercury cable tie that Merc outboards use on the fuel lines. They have an end on them that allows full contact of the tie all the way round.<br />The Merc part number is 54-816311T. For a pack of 100. If you have a Merc dealer around, they will sell (Probably give) you a couple.<br />Those bellows usually fit so tight they won't leak anyway, the crimp/cable tie is just a backup. Even if a little water did come in, it wouldn't damage anything like a leaky ujoint bellows will.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> If you have a Merc dealer around, they will sell (Probably give) you a couple.
That reminds me of an experience I once had.There is a boat yard/storefront near me that I dont even consider setting foot in since I stopped in to get the tiny oring that goes between the upper and lower onits on an outdrive.He looked it up on his microfisch for 10 minutes and then charged me $6 for it.I gave him his money and thats the last he will ever see of me.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Take caution when you clamp/wire tie that boot. Do it with the drive all the way up and the boot extended/streached enough so when you let the drive down it doesn't wad up and damage the boot. Same goes if you clamp it without the drive all the way up, dont streach it to much because then when you do raise the drive fully it will tear the boot in half.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Reel Poor,I dont know of anyone that has hands small enough to do it with the drive down so I think he will be ok on this one.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

What if the drive is off..........as it is right now?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> Reel Poor,I dont know of anyone that has hands small enough to do it with the drive down so I think he will be ok on this one.
My point was to be sure to stretch the boot out some. Dont clamp the boot in the relaxed position with the drive up, stretch it out. If you install it in the relaxed position with the drive up, when you lower the drive it WILL damage the boot.<br /><br />Tony if the drive is off just wait to install that clamp/wiretie till the drive is on and tilted up.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Great info guys.<br />I was just going to post this exact same question.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you clamp it with a wire tie, or the clamp that comes in the kit and use the pliers you make as shown in the service manual, you can still slide the bellows up and down the cable. So if you get it in the wrong place, it will set its self when you move the drive to full up and full down. This thing ain't rocket science guys. Without a clamp at all it fits on the cable tight enough to prevent leaks, and that is the ONLY reason the clamp is on there to begin with. Doen't make a bigger deal out of it than it is.

MRS

Commander

Like Don said I made the pliers like the manuel said. They worked great it is real easy.