The squeaky engine gets the...

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, everyone. I have a 2002 5.0L on a Maxum with 190 hrs on it. I've only had the boat out three times since purchasing it, totalling about 18 hrs. The second and third trips, there was a squeaky noise that began at idle slowly after starting. It was not a steady sound but a quick repeating squeak that increased in frequency with engine rpms until about 3500 rpm when it disappeared. After the engine warmed up, the squeak disappeared completely. The third trip the squeak was louder and lasted longer before disappearing. My first thought was a bearing in something but before I go nuts trying to troubleshoot, does anyone have suggestions?

On a slightly related topic...I can hear a clicking noise when I turn the wheel full direction left or right (at low speeds). Sounds like a CV joint on a car going bad. It's not prominently loud though. It this normal in the leg (Alpha One Gen II).

Thanks, of course, in advance.
MajBach

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The squeaky engine gets the...

Hi, everyone. I have a 2002 5.0L on a Maxum with 190 hrs on it. I've only had the boat out three times since purchasing it, totalling about 18 hrs. The second and third trips, there was a squeaky noise that began at idle slowly after starting. It was not a steady sound but a quick repeating squeak that increased in frequency with engine rpms until about 3500 rpm when it disappeared. After the engine warmed up, the squeak disappeared completely. The third trip the squeak was louder and lasted longer before disappearing. My first thought was a bearing in something but before I go nuts trying to troubleshoot, does anyone have suggestions?

On a slightly related topic...I can hear a clicking noise when I turn the wheel full direction left or right (at low speeds). Sounds like a CV joint on a car going bad. It's not prominently loud though. It this normal in the leg (Alpha One Gen II).

MajBach

Have you pulled the outdrive to check for water in the bellows and see if the u-joints on the yoke have ever been lubed?
Is there any rust on the yoke? Do you get water in the bilge in any amount? May be squeaky fan belts or bad seal in the engine water circulating pump. Apply a little bar soap to the fan belts to see it that stops the squeak. Less than 200 hours on a 10 year old boat could indicate lack of maintenance in several areas. On one of your old posts you indicated no water visible in the anti-freeze tank which could lead to the water circulating pump squeak.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Excellent start. I will follow through. I too concluded the boat was not TLC'ed before I bought it. I didn't know a fan belt could squeak just on its own?

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

MajBach

If it's a serpentine belt motor check the idler pulley for the squeak.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I'm assuming the idler pulley is the hard-mounted one near the top that doesnt really appear to do anything?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The clicking you hear from the ujoints will happen when you turn it full up against the lock. Even with new ujoints and everything is perfect. Still won't hurt to pull the drive and inspect. That should be done yearly anyway.

Your squeak could also be a loose belt. When you first start the engine the alternator goes to full charge, and also the heaviest load on the alternator. This can and does cause belts to squeak or chirp. As the engine is warming up, it's also charging and the load on the alternator decreases and the noise stops.

Check the belt too, it could be glazed over making the problem worse.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I'm assuming the idler pulley is the hard-mounted one near the top that doesnt really appear to do anything?

If it is a serpentine belt that idler pulley is spring loaded and has a bearing inside. Bearings can corrode and become very noisy. The pulley is a belt tensioner to hold tension on the belt when running and probably has a 1/2 ratchet drive hole on the side to facilitate belt removal.

Don S

I don't believe the idlers are spring loaded on his engine.

Without an engine serial number, it's hard to say.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I don't believe the idlers are spring loaded on his engine.

Without an engine serial number, it's hard to say.

I was taking a shot not seeing any pictures yet. My bad

Don S

No problem, I just thought I would mention it so the guy doesn't go crazy looking for one.

It's always fun to try and diagnose a sound you can't hear, on an engine you can't see, with only vague input from the owner.

I know as a tech, the first thing I would do is start it up and listen and see if I could pinpoint where the sound is coming from, just by following the sound.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, Don. This makes complete sense. Again, you guys are an invaluable resource. I used to be the type that did my homeowork and spent hours upon hours reading shop manuals and taking things apart to learn things hands-on. Alas, in my middle age, I've just too many toys to play with leaving me with little time for the rest. Of course, you folks make it that much easier for me. Thanks again.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My gimbal bearing sounded like that when I first noticed that same squeaking.
Thought I`d throw that out there.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

No problem, I just thought I would mention it so the guy doesn't go crazy looking for one.

It's always fun to try and diagnose a sound you can't hear, on an engine you can't see, with only vague input from the owner.

I know as a tech, the first thing I would do is start it up and listen and see if I could pinpoint where the sound is coming from, just by following the sound.

Please let me know what more I can do? Can I mail the sound file as I don't know how to post it here.

An update to the diagnosis: I was at the boat today and first thing I did was look at the pump from a different perspective,influenced from what I have read here; the power steering pump pulley is definitely off center when viewed from above. I reckon the reason why is sounded so much louder this spring had something to do with me tightening the belt prior to firing up the engine.
Unfortunately, I dont have the time Id like to work on the boat as I am working this week and hoping to do a bit of tinkering when I am done flying. So, what is the cause and next likely step?
Ill get a photo posted tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks again.