Power steering oil on a 94 454 mag mercruiser mariah z235

H20Dog

Cadet
Had a power steering failure 2 years ago and am trying to fix it now. Replaced the pump-easy to get to-and filed with PS oil but still no good. Looked at the manual to get the actuator replaced when I discovered the oil I was using was the wrong oil. I had used automotive PS oil. Could this be the reason the system failed to begin with? What is the fix? A system flush or should I just replace everything? Let me know.

H20Dog

Cadet
Re: Power steering oil on a 94 454 mag mercruiser mariah z235

Here are a couple things I have discovered.

The automotive power steering fluid is almost exactly like the transmission oil suggested for use and as such is a direct replacement - got this from a Dalo oil engineer. Second - never question the suggestion of someone with many years of boating experience..... When my power steering failed two years ago I was asked if the steering cable was checked when I posed the question as to what the trouble may be. It hadn't but I was "sure" the sluggishness and heaviness on steering was a hydraulic failure of some kind. One year it was fine the next - issues. I waited so long to try to fix the issue because I thought the actuator was the issue and that sucker is buried - hard to see much less get to. So I finally replaced the pump and that didn't fix it. It was when I went to replace the actuator and pulled the cable pin and turned the wheel in order to remove the cable from the actuator that I realized the issue was the cable itself. I remounted the actuator and pulled the cable for replacement - it was toast..... Two years of suffering with a steering issues because of my own pigheadedness in thinking I somehow knew better.

I want to say thanks those who have helped me with issue. Humble Pie - yummmmmm.