1999 Mercruiser 5.7 deiseling after carb rebuild

jlanka

Recruit
Title says it all. Engine is deiseling when I shut it down. This started happening after I took the carb off and brought it to a local shop to rebuild.

Can't be bad gas because I have twins and the other one is fine.

Is there a carb adjustment I can make to stop this?

It may have actually reversed the impeller in my water pump (saw this in another thread) because I started it up and the serp belt started squealing and eventually burned through. Water pump was hard to turn by hand after this happened.

Re: 1999 Mercruiser 5.7 deiseling after carb rebuild

For a gas engine to diesel requires extreme heat. Maybe carbon build up in the combustion chambers coupled with an overlean mixture following the carb rebuild?? The carbon glows red hot and keeps igniting the fuel.
I've seen this on an old car motor!

jlanka

Recruit

Actually high idle speed sounds like a good candidate. It IS idling too high. I will adjust that right away. Thanks!

I took apart the pump and sure enough the impeller was shredded. Replacing that too.

What about bad timing? Could that cause dieseling?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It could if it was off far enough. Get the rpms down and check it. Don't forget, It is a Thunderbolt V ignition, so you do have to put it in base timing mode to set timing as well as adjust idle mixture.

TB5 Timing.jpg

jlanka

Recruit

one more question, shop manual is ordered but in the meantime is there a diagram of the adjustments (specifically idle speed) on the 2BBL carb on that engine? Thanks in advance if anyone has a link or pic.

jlanka

Recruit

thanks. I didn't realize it was available for download.