'81 Mercruiser 350 BOGGING PROBLEM

webbmxer

Recruit
I have a 1981 Mercruiser 350 I/O im having an issue with. I bought the boat 2 months ago from a guy who has had the carb rebuilt and has replaced the rotor, distributor cap, plugs all last year. i took the boat out 4 times. first 2 times had no problems with it. ran great. then the last 2 times i took the boat out it runs great for the first 30 minutes or so out on the water, then engine will start bogging out and dying, eventually not running at all. i try turning it over with a buddy holding throttle open a little and will run for a few seconds and die again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: '81 Mercruiser 350 BOGGING PROBLEM

I have a 1981 Mercruiser 350 I/O im having an issue with. I bought the boat 2 months ago from a guy who has had the carb rebuilt and has replaced the rotor, distributor cap, plugs all last year. i took the boat out 4 times. first 2 times had no problems with it. ran great. then the last 2 times i took the boat out it runs great for the first 30 minutes or so out on the water, then engine will start bogging out and dying, eventually not running at all. i try turning it over with a buddy holding throttle open a little and will run for a few seconds and die again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like it's runnin' outa gas,...

Could be anything from the fuel tank vent to the carb, 'n everything in between....
I'd start with the fuel Filters, 'n work from there, dependin' on what ya find In 'em...

webbmxer

Recruit
Re: '81 Mercruiser 350 BOGGING PROBLEM

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like it's runnin' outa gas,...

Could be anything from the fuel tank vent to the carb, 'n everything in between....
I'd start with the fuel Filters, 'n work from there, dependin' on what ya find In 'em...

thank you for the reply.
i checked the large fuel filter that looks like oil filter and it looks very clean. how would i check the fuel tank vent to the carb?
would these problems cause the boat to run poorly after 30mins of driving. fuel starvation from clogging seems like it would run poorly even when i first put the boat in the water. motor revs fine and runs better outside of water as well.