Volt Meter / Ammeter

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know if I can "switch" from an Ammeter to a Volt Meter? (OMC I/O GM L6 250). The old Ammeter has the connections of "S", "I" and "G". The voltmeter just has the "+" and "-".<br /><br />Hmmmmm...<br /><br />I've never really known what to do with the readings on the Ammeter but know how to read volts!

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volt Meter / Ammeter

No! Different gages that show different data with different wiring requirements. Voltmeters show voltage condition of the electrical system, amp meters show amperage of the system in regards to "0": a plus reading means the system is being supplied with more amperage than the system requires (and charging a battery if the battery will accept a charge), a minus reading means amps are being used by the system (or the battery discharging) at a rate greater than being supplied.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Leave the ammeter. If the needle points to the + side you are good to go. If it reads on the - side of 0 don't leave the dock.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I personally don't like ampmeters. See no reason to run ALL the current all the way to the front of the boat, through the meter, then after all the wire/heat/resistance loss of amperage it gets to the battery to charge it. If you do a little rewiring, you can just put in a volt meter off the main B+ wire from the alternator to the main terminal on the starter (or an isolator or charge relay) to charge the batteries, then the house power comes from the terminal in the main harness that went to the + on the ampmeter. It can be little confusing if you don't understand how the systems are wired or have a manual to trace them out.

ricksrster

Commander

You also can wire a volt meter from the positive ignition key on and ground.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....<br /><br />I prefer a Volt Gauge as well,......<br /><br />It can be tapped into the system about Anywhere.....<br /><br />And,.... It'll give you the Same Info as the Ampere Meter,+ More......

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I've got the wiring diagram and here's what's odd: The diagram shows a voltmeter, not an ammeter, but I assure you, the ammeter wiring is original. Maybe I'll just add the voltmeter. The ammeter works, but I just don't like it, but if I can see a negative number on it, I'll know there is a problem. For my ease of assuredness, I will look at the voltmeter in addition to the ammeter. I'd rather not screw around with the wiring too much for fear of making a mess and having to have an electrician repair what I've altered.<br /><br />Thanks!