Confused - Alpha One Shift Cable Adjustment

tc123

Cadet
Could someone tell me the correct adjustment procedure for the lower shift cable on an Alpha One Gen. I drive? I am confused with the 6" measurement from the center of the brass barrel to the center of the hole in the cable head. On my cable the brass barrel is pinned to the threaded portion. The only way I can get the 6" dimension is to loosen the small brass locknut and turn the cable. Is this incorrect? Now I am having problems getting into forward gear!

tc123

Cadet
Re: Confused - Alpha One Shift Cable Adjustment

OK. Thanks for the info. I watched the video from Chris and adjusted the cables exactly like he demonstrated. I can shift into forward and reverse now. The one problem I have is I can shift into reverse but when I give it a little more throttle the cutoff switch activates and kills the motor. When I did the cable adjustments I noticed that the travel on the throttle cable was 3-3/8", not 3". Could this extra travel be activating the cutoff switch? Could the cable be stretched?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The one problem I have is I can shift into reverse but when I give it a little more throttle the cutoff switch activates and kills the motor.

Then you don't have things adjusted right. The video is for a Gen II, similar but not exact. The other one is for, well, who knows.

Below are the procedures from the OEM service manual. Follow them all and it will work, or you may have other problems that an adjustment can't cure.

View attachment A1 Shift Cable Adjust.pdf

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't intend to hijack this thread, however, I had a similar problem after installing a new lower shift cable. I could shift into reverse but not forward. I made some "wild *** guess" adjustments, and was able to shift into forward but not reverse. I then followed the link from Don S. and followed the instructions "step by step" and within 15 minutes had it working better than ever!

Thanks Don and Iboats.

jpapanto

Recruit
I Know old thread, but the link from Don doesn't work. Anyone have a copy of it? thanks!