Outdrive Lube Reservoir Questions

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought this 96 Rinker with an Alpha 1, Gen II. I pulled the out drive because of a roaring noise coming from the back of the engine while idling on muffs, that just suddenly started after the engine had been running for 3 minutes. I figure it's the gimble bearing, and since the former owner supplied me with his maintenance records, and I saw no gimble bearing replacement in them.

Anyway, this drive has a remote reservoir for the out drive lube. I am trying to figure out about some hoses and ports I found that differ from my Gen I out drive on my 83. I see one port of some kind under the top, starboard out drive mounting stud on the bell housing, and a hose the hangs down from the bell housing and appears to go to a nipple/connector on the lower unit, just in front of the shift rod. This connector was not connected and may be broken. I have been searching parts explosions to figure out what this connector is called, hoping the name of the part will tell me what it's for. No luck so far. Haven't found one that even shows it.

I need to know what that port is for, under the stud, and what the hose and connector is for, in front of the shift rod going into the lower unit. I also need to know the part numbers of the connector parts, in case mine is actually broken.

Thanks,
Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Outdrive Lube Reservoir Questions

I just bought this 96 Rinker with an Alpha 1, Gen II. I pulled the out drive because of a roaring noise coming from the back of the engine while idling on muffs, that just suddenly started after the engine had been running for 3 minutes. I figure it's the gimble bearing, and since the former owner supplied me with his maintenance records, and I saw no gimble bearing replacement in them.

Anyway, this drive has a remote reservoir for the out drive lube. I am trying to figure out about some hoses and ports I found that differ from my Gen I out drive on my 83. I see one port of some kind under the top, starboard out drive mounting stud on the bell housing, and a hose the hangs down from the bell housing and appears to go to a nipple/connector on the lower unit, just in front of the shift rod. This connector was not connected and may be broken. I have been searching parts explosions to figure out what this connector is called, hoping the name of the part will tell me what it's for. No luck so far. Haven't found one that even shows it.

I need to know what that port is for, under the stud, and what the hose and connector is for, in front of the shift rod going into the lower unit. I also need to know the part numbers of the connector parts, in case mine is actually broken.

Thanks,
Chris

Ayuh,... Got a Picture,..?? the remote oil tank is plumbed to the center of the transom plate, 'n daylights on the Other side of the gimbeled housing...

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

I see one port of some kind under the top, starboard out drive mounting stud on the bell housing
Is for the remote reservoir for the out drive lube

and a hose the hangs down from the bell housing and appears to go to a nipple/connector on the lower unit, just in front of the shift rod
is the speedometer

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks muc, and Don, for the info. That clears things up. Both new things for the Gen II, which I have never worked on before.

In case someone else has the same question, here are pics:
IMG_20120709_112717.jpgIMG_20120709_112741.jpgIMG_20120709_112840.jpg

Thanks,
Chris