Alignment off to the left.

Rodnator

Cadet
I have a problem with my 1988 alpha one/5.7 I have had problems with alignment since doing a complete restoration of a 1988 Celebrity 210v. Last season I was unable to get an alignment that wasn't off slightly to the left. the tool would go in with some effort and was harder to pull out. I did the best I could and the drive went on last year and it performed great for the last 3 months of the season. when I de-winterized it this spring, I started it up, engine ran great, but the gimbal bearing was whining, greased the bearing and it was silent again. started noticing a tapping sound at the rear of engine that became louder. I decided to change the gimbal bearing once and for all. after replacement, still misaligned slightly to the left, tool harder to put in, and now I noticed while my drive was off that there is a small leak of gear oil leaking around the universal joint. Don't know how to correct left alignment. all out of adjustment at elongated front engine mounts. I assume that there has been damage to the seal(s) and possible bearings in the drive due to misalignment. Boat is out of the water and is disabled during the best part of the season. Could benefit from some expert advice on where to go next.:(

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alignment off to the left.

I have a problem with my 1988 alpha one/5.7 I have had problems with alignment since doing a complete restoration of a 1988 Celebrity 210v. Last season I was unable to get an alignment that wasn't off slightly to the left. the tool would go in with some effort and was harder to pull out. I did the best I could and the drive went on last year and it performed great for the last 3 months of the season. when I de-winterized it this spring, I started it up, engine ran great, but the gimbal bearing was whining, greased the bearing and it was silent again. started noticing a tapping sound at the rear of engine that became louder. I decided to change the gimbal bearing once and for all. after replacement, still misaligned slightly to the left, tool harder to put in, and now I noticed while my drive was off that there is a small leak of gear oil leaking around the universal joint. Don't know how to correct left alignment. all out of adjustment at elongated front engine mounts. I assume that there has been damage to the seal(s) and possible bearings in the drive due to misalignment. Boat is out of the water and is disabled during the best part of the season. Could benefit from some expert advice on where to go next.:(

Ayuh,.... You've got 2 things goin' on, Not just alignment...

The leakin' top seal needs to be Changed, 'n probably the yoke too....

For the alignment,.... I'd pull the lags outa the front mounts, 'n fill the holes in....

Then reset the motor, Align it, 'n redrill the holes for the lags...

tpenfield

Staff member

The horizontal alignment is fixed by the mounting bolts at the transom assembly. There is no adjustment, but in my travels, I have found a very small amount of play, particularly if you have just installed the engine.

Depending on the forward engine mount set-up, you may be able to 'tweak' the engine left or right just enough to remedy the horozontal issue that you mentioned. If you can get the alignment tool grease markings to show evenness on both left and right sides, then it will merely be just the up/down adjustments of the forward mounts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a problem with my 1988 alpha one/5.7 I have had problems with alignment since doing a complete restoration of a 1988 Celebrity 210v

Did that restoration include a new transom? If so, did you get the inner transom surface parallel to the outer transom surface?

Rodnator

Cadet

it did include a new transom. the left misalignment appears to be less than 1/8 inch, not so much that the alignment tool wont go in or the drive to go on, but requires more force than should be required. If I look inside the gimbal bearing I see the right side of coupler and none of the left. I bumped the engine slightly to make sure the coupler wasn't off center, but it is consistent, slightly off to the left. taking the weight off of the front mounts and giving it a shove to the right does not seem to effect it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the transom is within spec, do as Bond-o mentioned earlier.

For the alignment,.... I'd pull the lags outa the front mounts, 'n fill the holes in....

Then reset the motor, Align it, 'n redrill the holes for the lags...