Lower unit damage *pics included* what to check?

mtler

Cadet
Greetings all,
water levels have been low here, and even while navigating in between the markers, I managed to hit something hard in the water going 25mph. I have attached pics showing the damage, engine still runs fine. Before I claim with my insurrance (500$ franchise), I was wondering if there was anything I could check myself to find out if the upper part of the sterndrive is ok...
I ran the engine on the hose and water gets to the engine and comes back out...after that I don't know what to check, as I obviously lost all the gear oil...THanks in advance.:)
96 capri 1850
3.0lx
alpha 1 gen II, SE116 sterndrive.

Attachments

• IMG-20120708-00080.jpg
    IMG-20120708-00080.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lower unit damage *pics included* what to check?

Greetings all,
water levels have been low here, and even while navigating in between the markers, I managed to hit something hard in the water going 25mph. I have attached pics showing the damage, engine still runs fine. Before I claim with my insurrance (500$ franchise), I was wondering if there was anything I could check myself to find out if the upper part of the sterndrive is ok...
I ran the engine on the hose and water gets to the engine and comes back out...after that I don't know what to check, as I obviously lost all the gear oil...THanks in advance.:)
96 capri 1850
3.0lx
alpha 1 gen II, SE116 sterndrive.

Ayuh,.... Claim it on yer insurance, 'n go for a new complete drive...

Hopefully, nothin' in the transom assembly was cracked or broken...

emoney

Commander

^^ what Bondo said. It'll be cheaper in the long run to use the insurance and replace the complete outdrive.
Man you hit something hard all right! You're lucky you didn't damage the hull, I'd think.

haulnazz15

Captain

Good lord, you definitely took a direct hit. I agree with Bond-O that you should be checking the gimbal ring/bell housing for cracks to ensure it didn't bust it up, especially near the hinge points. Either way, claim it on the insurance and get a complete new drive, not just the lower. If you ran it at all after this happened, there is metal/water/lack of lube in the upper unit, so it's as good as trash anyway.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your lucky you didn't cap size the boat!!!

mtler

Cadet

Alright I think I will call my insurrance for the claim.
It was a nasty feeling to hit that, worst part is that it was between the markers, I advised the coast guard about that. Whatever I hit was so hard that when it hit the sterndrive, the bow went down...
Sucks it happened right in the middle of summer :(
Thanks all for the advice!
Cheers