1990 Alpha1 sterndrive (installing drive shaft in upper drive shaft housing)?

flyrodman

Banned
I'm ready to install the drive shaft into the upper unit/drive shaft housing.Does the gears have to be timed as line up to do so?
If so,How do you line up /time the gears before inserting the drive shaft into the drive shaft housing?

What happened was,
The drive shaft was throwing gear oil into the boat.I found that the drive shaft bellows was ripped as well.I replaced all the bellows.Then,using a marker I marked the top gear shaft & drive shaft before removing the spanner nut.What I didn't realize was,my helper/friend turned the drive shaft without me knowing.I removed the spanner nut and pulled the drive shaft out of the housing.Then, I replaced the yoke seal & O-ring.Now I'm ready to reinstall/insert the drive shaft.Now I don't know the original position of the gear prior from pulling the drive shaft.Does it matter?Can I just simply insert the drive shaft?I hope I'm explaining all this to you proper.I'm no expert boat man.First timer so to speak.
Thanks!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: 1990 Alpha1 sterndrive (installing drive shaft in upper drive shaft housing)?

Just install it. There is no such thing as timing it. The gears have different numbers of teeth so it would take multiple revolutions before your marked teeth would line back up again.

flyrodman

Banned
Re: 1990 Alpha1 sterndrive (installing drive shaft in upper drive shaft housing)?

Thanks Mr.Reel Poor.I rather be safe then sorry.I tried to do it right.I marked,drawed a line with a marker on the top gear shaft thats under the top plate.Then,marked,drawed a line on one of the U-joints.But,since the drive shaft was turn prior to removing I don't know which way to turn it back as clock or counter clock wise.
The reason,I ask is because,I read somewhere in the manual the gears must be lined up as markings are on the gears for lining up.I take it they are talking the lower prop shaft.
Your saying I'm safe to just simply shove it in.In other words?

flyrodman

Banned

Lol,Thanks.Since you put it that way Lol.Yes,I'm a old motorhead with cars.These boats are another world.Rather be safe then sorry.From doing this project very easy to be sorry for sure.
While your here,may I ask.Facing the back of the boat.Right side.I broke the round plastic thing under the trim sinsor cap while trying to remove the two sinsor screws.Will my trim still work with this sinsor broke?If it's only for the dash trim indicator?I can live without that.I was told one sinsor is for trailor safty limit and the other for the dash indicator.Wondering ,what side is what.And if the trim will still work with that right side trim sinsor broke?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Facing the back of the boat the right (starboard) side is the trim position sensor. Yes it is ok to operate the boat without it. Your trim gauge will not work.

flyrodman

Banned

I only broke a corner piece off the round white plastic circle thing thats under the cap when,removing the 4 little screws.Is that white plastic thing replacable?Or do I have to buy the complete sinsor or sinsors?Thanks you been a great help.Thanks for the information.
Best,

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Facing the back of the boat the right (starboard) side is the trim position sensor. Yes it is ok to operate the boat without it. Your trim gauge will not work.

Wow...that's confusing, and that's why we always refer to things as port or stbd, and/or fore and aft, with relation to the boat.... When I read that, I read "facing the back of the boat" as meaning you are in the boat, and facing the back of the boat...that would put the sensor on your right as being the port sensor. (the limit sensor). Flyrodman.....please confirm is this the port or stbd sensor? Thanks!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Wow...that's confusing, and that's why we always refer to things as port or stbd, and/or fore and aft, with relation to the boat.... When I read that, I read "facing the back of the boat" as meaning you are in the boat, and facing the back of the boat...that would put the sensor on your right as being the port sensor. (the limit sensor). Flyrodman.....please confirm is this the port or stbd sensor? Thanks!

I assumed (and I know better) since he was working on the drive he was out of the boat standing near the drive and looking at the stern. :facepalm:

And you would have to replace the complete sensor.