Mercruiser 140 hesitates and stalls when coming out of the whole fast

Hi
Just got a new to me boat sea ray Seville. A 1984. Love the boat. Leg and hull are in great shape tool her for a sea trial had a slight miss. Took her home thinking just a tune up. I was wrong. Turns out the distributor was worn so I replaced it. New fuel pump. New plugs. New fuel lines and fittings from tank to fuel pump.
Went through the tests that don has in his forum.

Miss is gone. Runs really well seems to have more power. If I come off idle gradually it is smooth and steady. If I try to "punch it" from idle it hesitates and will backfire through the carb and quit. If I ease off it will resume running. I suspected timing so I have checked it twice it is bang on 6 degrees.

Anyone know what I should be locking at? I am a little stumped

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 140 hesitates and stalls when coming out of the whole fast

Sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb is bad, time to rebuild the carb.

Thank you

Can you buy a rebuild kit? And do the accelerator pump parts come in the kit?

I have worked on snowmobile, dirtbike and lawnmower carbs, is this something I could take on myself with the manual?

Jay

fishrdan

Admiral

Rebuild kits are easy to come by, $30 or so. One of the guys can post up a link for the service manual for you, so you know all the correct specs. Sounds like you can handle the rebuild with your other experience, just make sure to clean the carb well, soaking it in a bucket of Berrymans cleaner.

I would add a water separating fuel filter if your boat doesn't have one all ready.

Would the accelerator pump be a progressive problem or would it remain the same level of performance for now? Coming up to some holidays in a few days and had some fishing trips planned and will likely not have time to do it. Should I cancel the fishing?

One other question would the dwell on the points cause this type of problem? I ordered the electronic ignition for the new distributer. It the sent the wrong kit so I just set the gap on the points until Monday when I get the kit sorted out