Shift Bellow

redright9

Seaman Apprentice
I am attempting to replace the bellows on my alpha one gen 2 outdrive. I have everything apart, and even when looking through all the manuals, cannot figure out how to get the shift cable out so I can replace the bellow for that.

Any help?

Thanks.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shift Bellow

You have to disconnect the shift cable from the shift mechanism on the engine, then undo the clamp on the shift bellows, take off the bell housing and the shift cable should pull throught the transom shield.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct disconect cable from shift mechanism. Then undo the nut and take the two little screws off the piece that connects to the shift mechanism. Then the whole connector will come off and then you can pull the cable threw and undo the hose clamps then your all good.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you only have to do all of that if your pulling out the whole assembly.

redright9

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking through manual #14 and it seems like I need to buy a special tool to remove the cable through the bell housing.

I am not replacing the cable, just the bellow, can I just remove the cable from the bell housing or do I have to remove the entire cable?

Bt Doctur, do you have a link to manual 6? I have tried to find it but cannot.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Manual 6 is not for a Gen II drive, manual 14 (which you have) is the one you need. Section 4A covers replacing the shift cable and the bellows.