Tilt & Trim Issue

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys when I press the down button on my throttle the drive will go down. Now when I press the up button I get nothing, No sound, no movement, nothing.

I have replaced both solenoid that communicate with the trim motor and still the same. What is the cause of my problem?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Tilt & Trim Issue

Did you check for a signal from the trim switch to the solenoid. Blue is up...Green is down. Could be faulty trim limit switch or limit switch wiring.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What are we working on besides trim? What drive? Year?

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you check for a signal from the trim switch to the solenoid. Blue is up...Green is down. Could be faulty trim limit switch or limit switch wiring.

How do I check the signal from the trim switch? Location of trim switch?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

How do I check the signal from the trim switch? Location of trim switch?

The trim switch would be the one on your throttle.
A 12 volt test light or a volt meter would be used to check for the voltage signal to the solenoids.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trim switch would be the one on your throttle.
A 12 volt test light or a volt meter would be used to check for the voltage signal to the solenoids.

Ok the volt meter would read 12v if there is current? 0 for no current?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Not likely to be the fuse. 90% of the time when you have this problem it is in the trim limit circuit. Go back near the transom and locate two black wires coming in near the transom plate, one goes into a connector with a purple/white wire, the other into a connector with two blue/white wires. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the two connectors with a short piece of wire. Try the trim up, bet it works;). If it does the problem is either the trim limit switch or the wires going to it.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not likely to be the fuse. 90% of the time when you have this problem it is in the trim limit circuit. Go back near the transom and locate two black wires coming in near the transom plate, one goes into a connector with a purple/white wire, the other into a connector with two blue/white wires. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the two connectors with a short piece of wire. Try the trim up, bet it works;). If it does the problem is either the trim limit switch or the wires going to it.

So basically this is one set of wires for the up and one set of wires for the down, is that correct?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I gave you the wrong link for the troubleshooting guide originally, have changed it to the correct one. Will make a lot more sense.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

No these are for up only. Blue/white up, green/white down. When you press the up trim the voltage goes through the P/W wire to the the black wire through the trim limit switch, back out the other black wire to the B/W connector, on to the up trim solenoid. If there is a problem with either of the black wires or the switch it will not work. The trim limit switch disconnects the trim switch if you try to raise the trim beyond a certain limit. The second B/W wire in the connector is connected to the trailer switch and bypasses the trim limit so you can raise the outdrive all the way up. Down trim has no limit and is controlled by a G/W wire directly from the control switch.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem tested wires to the switch and replace switch. Replace both solenoids pulled the wiring diagram for the pump. Wires were good from shifter to trimp pump and then tested from the wires from the pump to the sensor on the out drive. Was all good next step i bought the trim sensors on ebay for $100.00 bucks replace them and had them aligment done and was all good. But untill i had the money i jusy continued to use the trailer up buttom.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same problem tested wires to the switch and replace switch. Replace both solenoids pulled the wiring diagram for the pump. Wires were good from shifter to trimp pump and then tested from the wires from the pump to the sensor on the out drive. Was all good next step i bought the trim sensors on ebay for $100.00 bucks replace them and had them aligment done and was all good. But untill i had the money i jusy continued to use the trailer up buttom.

The trim sensors are located on the outside of the boat as part of the outdrive right?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Yes, the trim limit switch is located on the port side of the gimble ring and the trim position sensor is on the starboard side.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the trim limit switch is located on the port side of the gimble ring and the trim position sensor is on the starboard side.

Thank you.

I'll be checking this stuff out later tonight / tomorrow and have an update for everyone.

Thank you to everyone who has taken few minutes of your time to offer helpful advice.