Can guage flutter be associated with bad coil?

rbrandel

Cadet
2005 Bayliner 185 with 4.3 Mercruiser
After 30 minutes cruising the tach, oil pressure and temperature guages all begin to flick or flutter intermitantly. Very subtle at first but then gets worse. After one hour or more the engine will begin to hesitate, again intermitantly, still cruising at 28-30 MPH. After sitting an hour or more, guages will again be steady and engine smooth. Is the guage flicker and engine hesitation related? This has been happening for three seasons. Boat is not used often. Twice it has been to dealer mechanincs who have not been able to reproduce the symptoms. Their dynometer testing is always good. One suggested carburetor rebuild but the guage movements confuse me. Another weekend boater suggested a coil issue? Thanks for any advice.

rbrandel

Cadet
Re: Can guage flutter be associated with bad coil?

Also, fuel/water seperation filter, plugs, rotor and distributor cap were recently replaced. Thanks.

rbrandel

Cadet

I've been advised to consider a short in the ignition system?

TimeZone

Seaman Apprentice

I've been advised to consider a short in the ignition system?
I had gauge (tach) flutter and hesitation on my shakedown cruise. Found the black ground wire from the engine harness going to the ground stud on the back of the engine floating. Tightened it up and problem solved.
So yes, it could be electrical.

GL
Ron

rbrandel

Cadet

So a bad guage or electrical connection could be the cause of the hesitation after long engine operation?