cost to replace Alpha 1 drive shaft seal

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Alpha 1 drive that had u joints and bellows wet with drive lube. I believe this indicates a leaking seal. From what I read this is not a job I want to try on my own. What should I expect to pay to have a shop replace this seal with me pulling the drive?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: cost to replace Alpha 1 drive shaft seal

Could be anything... depends on what they find when they open it up... The seals fail for a reason, usually the yoke wears a groove, so that has to be fixed... Sometimes it can be sleeved, some times it's got to be replaced....

Asking how much it will cost is like asking how long is a piece of string....

Get the shop to quote you first, and have a look at it once they pull it apart...

Chris.....

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think this boat sat idle for a number of years and maybe the seal just got dry hopefully. Also, I could not turn the drive shaft and had to tap it back and forth to break free, so maybe there is damage to the bearings or raises. It is free now. I pulled the drive shaft assemble out of a bad upper I have. Removed using a punch since I didn't have the spanner wrench. I can see it will take an impact wrench or good vice to loosen the nut on the gear. I may pull it apart for the experience and see what it looks like. My old one is a pre alpha, M1 I think. Is the Alpha 1 any different?
If I pull it apart and put in a new seal then put it back torquing the nut to 200lbs in a vice with torque wrench and install into upper using the same shims that were in there and tighten with a spanner to the mark or torque (what's this torque) will the gear be the same as it was from the factory?

flyrodman

Banned

Please,let me know how you loosened the nut without a spanner wrench?I'm having the same problem?

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a punch, long one with blunt end, and a hammer. Read somewhere that you can put it back on the same way, just drive it 1/4" further than it was when you took it off. This was stated as a way to do it without torquing it to 200#s. Haven't put one together myself yet, but it did come apart.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you need the manual for the drive first
you need the proper tools to assemble it
you need to know if it requires the "rolling torque"(gear pulling tool) method or "standard torque" (hand removal)method to tighten the nut back down properly.IT IS NOT 200 ft lbs.
You torque the carrier nut to that reading when installing the shaft assembly.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

+1 on Bt Doctur.... Cut corners now and it will come back and haunt you. If you use a punch to remove the retainer (especially if it is already giving you problems), you chance damaging the castelations, which can then interfere with the rubber seal in the bell housing. Don't chance it ! (oh, why did I ever buy a boat!:facepalm:) Good luck on how ever you do it! Help is always here when you ask!

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need the manual for the drive first

Where will I find Manual 6 for my 1988 Alpha 1?

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

From Manual 6,thanks for linc

DESCRIPTION
TORQUE
lb. in. lb. ft. NVm
Top Cover Screws 17-23 23-31
U-joint Retainer Nut 200 271
U-joint Drive Gear Nut 70-80 95-108
Water Pocket Cover
Screws
30-40 3-4
Oil Vent Screw 30-50 3-6

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

paid almost 75 for mine from a dealer many years ago.sounds like a good deal

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Instructions for seal replacement
http://www.amarket.com/merseal.htm
REPLACEMENT OF OUTDRIVES YOKE AND SEAL MERCRUISER

1) Start by removeing the upper drive from the lower gearcase

2) Rremove the oil from the drive. Take top drive from bottom drive.

3) Remove the large covernut with covernut wrench or use a 1/2" bar through the nut and u-joint to loosten it.

4) Remove the top cover of the outdrive to relieve vaccuum on drive and pull complete u-joint section from front of drive.

5) Mount the u-joint in a vice with the nut up and remove the nut with 15/16 socket wrench.

6) Remove the complete assembly of parts from the yoke and place the nut and washer aside and place the stack gear down on the bench and unstack the parts one at a time until you come to the carrier with the seal in it. Clean it with parts washer. Guard the shim set behind the bearing assy.

7) With the lip downward drive the seal out with screwdriver and hammer. Place the new seal over the bore and press down with a 2x4 piece and hold it under pressure and straight. While under pressure have someone else hit the 2x4 with a large hammer on the wood right over the seal and the seal should sink into place, flush with top of carrier.
8) Clean all of the parts and restack the parts back up to the cover nut.

9) Go back to the U-Joint section and remove the cross and bearings from the assembly, discard all but the center yoke and long engine side yoke.

10) Rebuild the U-Joint using 2 new bearings and youk from kit, Be sure the clips are completely set around the caps and that you do not let any needles fall inside the caps, if the caps do not close enough for the snaps to install this is probably the problem.

REPAIR KIT

11) Lubricate the U-Jooints

12) place the stack of parts over the spline of the yoke and tighten it up, a new nut and washer is provided. Check that the word nut goes on the nut side..

13) Lubricate between the lips of the large seal before assembly

14) Remove the driven ear and shaft by lifting it out of the cap opening. Change the two seals in the base of the empty housing, remove them upward with a screwdriver

15) Replace the seals using a scocket that fits on the upper seal, and drive the lower in from the bottom with a flat surface until flush.

16) Greese the seals, and drop the cleaned driven gear and shaft in from the top, clean the cap and replace it with a new 'o' ring on it. use lube on screws.

17) Be sure that the shims that were behind the yoke assy are replaced using the large black one to hold the others in.

19) Drive the assembly into place and tap on the tip of the assy to be sure it is completely seated, then tighten covernut. Do not rely on covernut to pull it tight. Don't forget the large 'o' ring around the assy it must be installed.

20) The Shiming should not have changed but the unit should turn effortlessly and you should feel no gap between the gears. There is however a small unfeelable gap that must be there. To check rotate the shaft back and forth rapidly about one inch and you should hear a tapping indicating a light backlash.

23) Replace bottom of drive and fill with oil..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

close ,but it does not tell how to torque the castle nut back on to 200 ft/lbs. also does not mention the "rolling torque" if used.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the official manual too and will try to do it right.

achris

Wow.. .A few things just not quite right in that lot...

First thing I noticed is #4... If the top and bottom are split, or even if the drain or vent plugs are out, there will be no vacuum in there. NO need to remove the top cover for just a seal job.

Next thing was about the shim set... It should still be in the housing, not on the gear...

I stopped read after that....

Chris......

flyrodman

Banned

Hello,people.I'm doing the same project.Was hoping to get some help here as well while you all are here.I removed the drive shaft from the drive shaft housing.The problem I have is,I don't recall the position of the drive shaft & gears prior from pulling the drive shaft from the housing.Does the gears have to be timed/lined up before inserting the drive shaft into the housing?If so,any instruction on how to lineup/time the gears?
I don't recall in the manual where I seen it.But,I thought I seen where you have to lineup the gears with markings on the gears.Unless that was for installing the lower Prop shaft.

achris

Flyrodman,

Please start your own thread.. This thread is marvinjansen's and if you start coming in over the top it will get confusing and information will be lost to both of you...

Chris.......