94' 3.0LX Hard to Start Cold...

curt2199

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94' Rinker Captiva 180 with the 3.0LX. It is hard to start when cold. I pump it 3-4 times and crank it over. I can see the choke is kicking on and working as it should but it will crank and just fire enough to sound like it wants to start but not fire over enough to actually start. The only way to actually start it when I go to put it in is to have my girlfriend crank it over and then I go back to the throttle linkage (temporarily disconnected) and hold it wide open. After a few seconds like this, it fires right up and will then idle and run fine. The only issues I ever have again is if I shut it down and let it cool enough to have another cold start problem or if idling for extending periods of time (waiting to load at the ramp) it will load up and want to die but this has only happened really once after idling for probably 20-30 min straight. At that point it can be a little hard to start again (assuming that it's flooding a bit).

From here, I'm wondering if maybe I have an issue with the starter being worn and not cranking fast enough, a problem with the choke settings, or something else. Also, how do I get the throttle to operate independent of the gear selector on the stick? My throttle/gear selector stick has tilt/trim and a run/off toggle switch but not seeing anything else. My old boat had a button that I pulled out and it released the gear selector so I could rev the engine without putting it in gear. This would make getting it started a lot easier if I wasn't having to run the throttle from the engine bay while my GF cranks it over.

Things done and replaced...
New plugs as spec'd on valve cover
New plug wires
New cap/rotor
Added a return throttle spring due to problems returning to idle (cable is a bit worn).
Cleaned and Rebuilt carb with a kit (was actually pretty cleaned, and rebuilt and set to specs by a mechanic)
Checked cylinders and all around 115-125psi
Checked good main battery and added new Duracell Marine G29 secondary battery.

Unrelated but just did bellows and gimbal bearing.

Thanks for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 94' 3.0LX Hard to Start Cold...

Maybe you just haven't found your throttle only button yet.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Throttle only buttons.jpg
    Throttle only buttons.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a choke issue to me. Or just having an older engine. I have the same problem, I just have to hit my button gear release and put the throttle wide open. The other thing that opening the throttle wide open does, is spray a bit of extra gas in the carb. This can flood the engine if you do it more then a couple times, usually once is good. I would go get a new gear shift/throttle that will allow you to control the engine without shifting.

curt2199

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I checked it out and I believe I have the Quicksilver 3000 from the pictures I've seen and where the button should be is a hole where it's apparently been busted out.

It looks like the one in this picture. They have the trailer switch circled but the hole in mine is at the bottom of the throttle shaft.
TrailerSwitch.jpg