Started fine, turned off, then won't start again. circuit breaker clicks.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

This is a 1988 Wellcraft 21' with a chevy 5.7 or 350 motor with 260 hp. This is a re-manufactured engine from a manufacturer that was installed by me last summer. It has maybe 10 hours on it.

I was going to take the boat out in the bay to watch fireworks with the family last night. I was cleaning it out and the distributor got wet and it wouldn't fire. I dried it out and went to restart and the battery seemed low and not turning the motor as fast as it should. I hooked up a charger and let it charge a while. I tried to start and it started right up. I turned it off immediately because I had turned off the water to the muffs while I dried out the distributor.

I turned on the water and went to restart now all I get is a clicking noise in the circuit breaker, but the breaker is not tripped. I checked all the connection I could, battery terminals, I have 2 batteries. Wires to the starter as best I could and all the wires to the circuit breaker. I also checked the fuses behind the gauges in the cuddy cabin. This is so weird as it was running perfect before I turned it off. We take it out maybe once a month and I start it once a week on muffs for 15 minutes to keep things flowing. Better it happened on land and not on the water at night I guess, but disappointing none the less. We watched fireworks from land last night with the other land lubbers.
Anyone have any suggestion I can try? My brother is an aircraft mechanic and is coming over Saturday to help, but I would like to fix it before then if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Started fine, turned off, then won't start again. circuit breaker clicks.

Thanks Don,

No I am not 100 percent sure, but I can feel it clicking there when someone tries to start it. I lost my test light in the move last year, but will go get another and run through the steps you provided.

Thanks for your time,

Jim

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Don,

OK I got a continuity tester. I got a good ground and hooked it to terminal C of the slave solenoid and it blows the test light as soon as the key is turned to the start position. Bad solenoid or short somewhere?

Thanks,

Jim

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

and hooked it to terminal C of the slave solenoid and it blows the test light as soon as the key is turned to the start position. Bad solenoid or short somewhere?

power to the small yellow/red wire is normal when key it turned to start.
12V test lights do not blow connected to 12V
shorting A and B should activate the starter,

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bt,

I shorted those together and it still clicks. I also shorted B to C and that clicked also. When I short A and B without the key on it sparks if that makes a difference. Bad solenoid? or Short?

Thanks,

Jim

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

it will spark because your trying to activate the main starting solenoid. A and B should operate the solenoid on the starter itself. If it dosent
then check the starter and/or solenoid .Be sure to follow Don`s advise in his link for testing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OK I got a continuity tester.

You do not want a continuity tester, you want a 12V test light. Not the same type tester.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

I'll check the starter saturday when I can get under the thing and have more time.

Jim