1990 Welcraft 186 Eclipse 4.3 Liter Mercruiser alpha 1 replacing bellows?

starwriter

Banned
I'm getting ready to start taking this boat apart to replace all 3 bellows.My first time.I haven't done nothing yet as we speak.First, question I have is the steps in removing the lower unit.I watched videos/utubes online.They make things look so simple.Example,To remove the 2 trim arms.First remove/pop off the caps.Well I tried that.I found my caps unscrew not pop off.Is why I'm here asking you all the steps & what else isn't in the videos.
I was told all you do to remove the lower unit it this,
(1)remove the prop.(2)Move throutle Lever all the way forward.(3) Remove caps from Trim arms.Then,remove lock nut.Then using a rubber hammer & a rod tap the long bolt out with out damaging threads.(4)Remove the 6 nuts & washers.After all of that 1- 4 above the lower unit & drive shaft should be ready to pull off.Is this correct?
Why I ask is because,some say to put throutle forward.Others say remove a pin if you have one.Here we go again,If I have a pin?Do I have a pin keeping the lower unit from pulling off or not?How to I know?Where would this pin be located if so?What kind of pin are we talking about if so?
Next question,
To remove the Trim housing to replace the bellows.Requires a tool to remove the two trim bolts.I was told it's a 12 point star or allen.What size star or allen is the tool I need?I was thinking of going to a auto parts store to see if I can get this 12 point star tool or allen.I was told those two bolts are the hardest to remove.
I see many utube videos of removing the lower unit.Not one showing you how to install the lower unit & drive shaft.
Funny thing is I haven't even started this project yet.I have a feeling I'm gonna regret it as well.From what all I hear & see from utube videos.I've been looking at my boat on the trailor for 3 weeks now regreting in starting this project and the 90-100 degree heat.From what I hear shops charge over $1000.00 to do this job.Why this system was ever designed this way is beyond me.For a part/bellows that is required to be replaced every 4-6 yrs.Replacing a engine & tranny in a car sounds easier then a simple rubber boots on a boat.That's like the same on a drive axle boot.My serial# off my sterndrive is 00405065 (184R) OD357324 any tips & information would help?Can someone find me a part number & brand for a complete bellows kit with this numbers I have?Thanks.Dan.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 Welcraft 186 Eclipse 4.3 Liter Mercruiser alpha 1 replacing bellows?

From reading your post it doesn't look like you have alot of mechanic background. This isn't an easy job but it's not terribly difficult either. Some special tools make it alot easier. I would suggest you take it to someone who has done it before. 1K dollars is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for it though. Shop around and find a good price. If you do something wrong on this job it could end up costing you alot of time and money in the long run.

Bondo

Staff member

Funny thing is I haven't even started this project yet.I have a feeling I'm gonna regret it as well.
From reading your post it doesn't look like you have alot of mechanic background. This isn't an easy job but it's not terribly difficult either. Some special tools make it alot easier. I would suggest you take it to someone who has done it before. 1K dollars is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for it though. Shop around and find a good price. If you do something wrong on this job it could end up costing you alot of time and money in the long run.

Ayuh,.... I Agree with Crazyhorse,... Yer Waayyy over yer head.... Hire it done...

starwriter

Banned

Now come on guys?Give me a little credit here.Regardless,I don't have the money to take this in to have it done.Regardless I must do it.Yes,I've been looking at the boat on the trailor for over 3 weeks now regreting the thought of cracking it all open.It all must be done and someone has to do it.I'm just asking for any tips & tricks I need to know before hand is all?I don't want to hear the words can't do it,don't do it and such ect.I need some Chear Leaders like your selves to chear me on this project?LOL.We need to be on the same team "The Boat Team".

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

step one is to get the merc manual for your outdrive and read it.
None of that is hard, but a manual will help with the little difference you will see on youtube and your exact outdrive.

start, and when you get stuck as a particular spot, ask that question. You will get a much better reply than asking something that would take hours to type a reply to.

however,
remove trim cylinders, (no need to take the prop off if you don't want to), put drive in forward, remove speedo tube if you have one, loosen your 6 lock nuts, pull off the outdrive. the rest you will easily figure out while looking at the bellows once you have the outdrive off.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...271&categoryRedirect=N1679&pt=N1679&ppt=C0374

random fact: The tool above can be used to pull out those stupid hinge pins on the side of the bellhousing. Merc and most other places charge a LOT for the "hinge pin removal tool". The little guy above works great, BUT, you have to saw off the top 1/8 inch.

To the OP: I was in your shoes a month ago. I pulled my drive, and replaced my own gimbal bearing. That was easy. I pulled the bellhousing and got the bellows off as well. Once I tried to get my messed up shift cable out, I cried uncle. I took my boat, drive, and parts to a local shop, and they finished the mess I started for $500. I brought them all the bellows and parts and whatnot, which I purchased on iboats for $70.

I got everything apart just fine, but I lost confidence when I had to start putting stuff back together. I didn't want to take any chances with shotty workmanship since all these parts are underwater, and a hackjob install would eventually sink the boat. I got a discount from the repair shop for doing about 40% of the work.