shade tree tech tip on pressure testing outdrive.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Dang, came close to causing myself alot of work for nothing. Changed my impeller on an R drive and pressure tested it and lost pressure over the course of about 4 hours. I made one of those nifty back yard pressure testers and soaped all the clamps to see if it was just my connectors. no bubbles and was really disappointed because now i was just about to seperate the halves and try to find the leak when i thought to disconnect the bycicle nipple from the wally world pump i put together. Shes holding pressure like a champ. Bottom line, if you make one of these cheesy testers pull it off the hand pump and use a fairly new bycicle tube stem or you could be chasing ghosts.

1983 26ft. Tiara
Twin 470's
Drydocked for i think 4 years now.
shooting for sea trial by the end of the summer.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: shade tree tech tip on pressure testing outdrive.

Yep... When I get something giving bad results, I check my test gear first... Saved myself countless hours that way.... I just hate it when people put test equipment away knowing it's faulty... :mad:...

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Re: shade tree tech tip on pressure testing outdrive.

Things left to do before sea trial. Time the starboard motor (set the dwell allready). Glass and resecure the dash with a water tight gasket to fix the shoddy factory work. Replace the water heater. Repair the trailer brakes. Repair the ripped out winch shackle on the bow. Repair the blower and bilge pumps not working. Would like to reapholster. Just thought i would post this as to why it is taking me so long. Boat was a basket case when i bought her, but am getting close to getting her wet and am starting to get excited about actually getting on the water with these dreaded 470s.