3.0 I/O mercruiser will start but has trouble idling especially when putting in gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent_Edwards30

Recruit
I have a 1990 Maxum, and it has a 3.0 I/O mercruiser on it. The engine will start just fine when I choke it, but when I bring the throttle back to put it in nuetral it shuts off like it just isn't idling high enough. I can put it in gear if I try to do it fast after choking the engine and the boat runs just fine after it has increased RPM's. This problem seems to get worse the longer I keep the boat out. Also most of the time if I have run for a bit and I come down to idle it seems like it runs wells just a little low.

I keep wondering if simply adjusting the throttle cable will allow the engine to idle just a bit higher so that it can run in neutral.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.0 I/O mercruiser will start but has trouble idling especially when putting in g

I have a 1990 Maxum, and it has a 3.0 I/O mercruiser on it. The engine will start just fine when I choke it, but when I bring the throttle back to put it in nuetral it shuts off like it just isn't idling high enough. I can put it in gear if I try to do it fast after choking the engine and the boat runs just fine after it has increased RPM's. This problem seems to get worse the longer I keep the boat out. Also most of the time if I have run for a bit and I come down to idle it seems like it runs wells just a little low.

I keep wondering if simply adjusting the throttle cable will allow the engine to idle just a bit higher so that it can run in neutral.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Has it had a Tune Up, 'n Service lately,..??

it should idle at 700 rpms or so...

Gaden

Cadet
This is the same problem I am having with my 1989 Sea Ray. Today when I took the boat out on the water, I had same problem. After draining all fluids, draining tank, replacing plugs, etc...the but ran well especially since it hadn't been on the water for 8 years. All checked out...good temp, good oil pressure, ran well on top end, but WHEN TRIED to IDLE...it would die...My dad said that 8 years ago the boat would idle rough...SO the mechanic turned up idle speed. Now the boat won't idle at all. When I start it and give it gas, it does fine. The acceleration to top speed is smooth...but if I need to idle or put in reverse it dies. What do you think it might be? I think it might be carb gummed up from sitting. IS it possible to clean carb without rebuild? Any help would be great! I hear a lot of good about Seafoam. Thoughts.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is the same problem I am having with my 1989 Sea Ray. Today when I took the boat out on the water, I had same problem. After draining all fluids, draining tank, replacing plugs, etc...the but ran well especially since it hadn't been on the water for 8 years. All checked out...good temp, good oil pressure, ran well on top end, but WHEN TRIED to IDLE...it would die...My dad said that 8 years ago the boat would idle rough...SO the mechanic turned up idle speed. Now the boat won't idle at all. When I start it and give it gas, it does fine. The acceleration to top speed is smooth...but if I need to idle or put in reverse it dies. What do you think it might be? I think it might be carb gummed up from sitting. IS it possible to clean carb without rebuild? Any help would be great! I hear a lot of good about Seafoam. Thoughts.

This thread is over 7 years old. Since you already started a new thread of your own there is no need to ask the question again in an old, inactive thread. Look at the Help Tip on top of the page. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.