5.0 L Mecruser Alpha One with intermitent alarm but all fluids check out

numbersguy

Cadet
I have a 2000 Maxum 1900 SR2 with a 5.0 L Mercruiser engine and alpha one out drive.

This past weekend, I started getting a randon beep while I was pulling a skier, but it went off right away. The RPM was close to 2800 at the time. It is the same tone I hear when I start the boat.

This happened again 2 more time before I stopped and bought it back to the lift.

When we were cruising slowly, there were no alarms.

The warning beep could have been low oil pressure ( it reads between 30 and 40 psi), Low gear oil, the resivoir was only just below full and I toppit off), or high temp ( the temp gauge read 175).

I checked the oi; and it reads full and is still clear to look at. I've only used the boat about 12 hours this season since I changed the oil in the fall.

I also had a depth alarm go off becasue there is a point on the lake where the water is about 2.5 feet deep and we did dive through there on plane to avoid another boater.

Where do I start?

I cant find and water / oil leaks, and the engine seems to be running well at idle and low speeds.

Please advise.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.0 L Mecruser Alpha One with intermitent alarm but all fluids check out

The warning beep could have been low oil pressure ( it reads between 30 and 40 psi), Low gear oil, the resivoir was only just below full and I toppit off), or high temp ( the temp gauge read 175).

Ayuh,.... I'd guess 1 of the 3 sensors is goin' Bad...

Ya just gotta test to see Which 1...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

or a chaffed and shorting wire in the system somewhere...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The alarm switches are not the same as the gauge senders.

All the alarm switches have a tan/blue striped wire going to them. Disconnect one at a time to find out which one is causing the intermittent alarm.

This is a carbed engine isn't it?

numbersguy

Cadet

It has a carberator.

There is some rust on fittings on the right side of the engine, and the left side has none. It seems wired to me so I'm including it as an observation.