165 mercruiser cracked exhaust manifold

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys

Well much to my dissmay when I started the merc , water started coming out the manifold behind the carb. I pulled the manifold and found a crack . It is accessable. Have any of you people ever got a manifold welded? And if so what kind of luck have you had with it holding??

Dave

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 165 mercruiser cracked exhaust manifold

Hi Guys

Well much to my dissmay when I started the merc , water started coming out the manifold behind the carb. I pulled the manifold and found a crack . It is accessable. Have any of you people ever got a manifold welded? And if so what kind of luck have you had with it holding??

Dave

Ayuh,... Weldin' cast iron is usually followed by slatherin' the repair with epoxy paste,...
'cause the weldin' causes More crackin'...

Ya might as well skip the weldin' all together, 'n just slather it with epoxy...

'n Hopefully, it ain't cracked into the exhaust cavity...

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well it has cracked into the exhaust cavity. It filled a couple cyls with water, hydro locked it,Lucky it wasn't running. I had a hose hooked up to it.

Bondo

Staff member

well it has cracked into the exhaust cavity. It filled a couple cyls with water, hydro locked it,Lucky it wasn't running. I had a hose hooked up to it.

Ayuh,... Then you need another manifold,.... There Ain't no fixin' that,.... Sorry....