5.0 EFI Will not plane, engine backfires

edsmax

Cadet
Went out with the family this past weekend and could not get on plane. I noticed the previous time I went out the boat seemed "sluggish" and one time backfired or pinged under load while trying to plane.

Boat is a 240 Sea Ray Sundancer, 5.0 EFI (TBI) engine with Bravo 3. Plugs and wires were replaced last season. Fuel filter and water seperater are done every spring. Plan for tonight is replace distributor cap, rotor, and distributor ignition sensor. Also, will put in new water seperater. Props seemed clean and barnacle free. If the above doesnt fix it I am thinking it could be coil, bad fuel anti-syphon valve or shift interrupter switch (or is that only Alpha?).

Any other ideas?

Ed

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.0 EFI Will not plane, engine backfires

Went out with the family this past weekend and could not get on plane. I noticed the previous time I went out the boat seemed "sluggish" and one time backfired or pinged under load while trying to plane.

Boat is a 240 Sea Ray Sundancer, 5.0 EFI (TBI) engine with Bravo 3. Plugs and wires were replaced last season. Fuel filter and water seperater are done every spring. Plan for tonight is replace distributor cap, rotor, and distributor ignition sensor. Also, will put in new water seperater. Props seemed clean and barnacle free. If the above doesnt fix it I am thinking it could be coil, bad fuel anti-syphon valve or shift interrupter switch (or is that only Alpha?).

Any other ideas?

Ed

Ayuh,.... Dump the old 1, 'n Inspect it's contents,....

My guess is, yer gonna find something other than gasoline....