Stripped bolt hole repair help!

waterdawg60

Cadet
I put the boat in the water today and discovered one of the bolt holes holding down the thermostat in my 350 chev is stripped. Should I retap the hole or put a spring in it. I have never tapped a hole before but think i should be able to do it (i have a cheap tap and die set) but are the springs ok to use. I need the boat in 2 days..... :-O.

chris1004

Recruit
Re: Stripped bolt hole repair help!

If by spring you mean a helicoil you can use that. Should work good.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Being the part it is, i have found king serts to work much better in this application but a coil style will work well too. Should be 3/8x16. Napa and most part stores have them. When drilling and tapping cast iron, use care, as it is somewhat fragile, and easy to booger up.

Bondo

Staff member

Being the part it is, i have found king serts to work much better in this application but a coil style will work well too. Should be 3/8x16. Napa and most part stores have them. When drilling and tapping cast iron, use care, as it is somewhat fragile, and easy to booger up.

Ayuh,... Use lotsa Oil.... ;) Any oil.....:rolleyes:

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would recomend using JB weld it will hold until you can get it to a shop.

waterdawg60

Cadet

Thanks all. I am trying to get in touch with my "boat guy" to see if he has an insert kit. The cracked block thing kinda scares me...lol. If I cann't get him in time I may try JB weld but would that just make it harder to repair properly when he's available?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It wouldn't be your block that cracks - but your intake manifold. You shouldn't have problems with cracking if you take your time. Not especially difficult. And you don't need to get the helicoil form your "boat guy." As mentioned, any well equipped auto parts store - or hardware store will have the kit.

waterdawg60

Cadet

It wouldn't be your block that cracks - but your intake manifold. You shouldn't have problems with cracking if you take your time. Not especially difficult. And you don't need to get the helicoil form your "boat guy." As mentioned, any well equipped auto parts store - or hardware store will have the kit.
Yes sorry it would be the intake manifold and I just talked to "boat guy" and he's on his way over as I type this. I call him as we do jobs for each other and it works out that no money ever changes hands. I do his house stuff (heating) and he does my boat stuff.........lol.