2005 Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo Water Circulating Pump Pulley Not Turning

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2005 Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo Water Circulating Pump Pulley Not Turning

The belt is not really turning, it starts to turn at the beginning but then stops as the seawater and then circulating pulley aren't turning.

Neither the seawater or circulating pulleys turn when the belt is on.

This has to be the most confusing thread I've read in some time.

The water circulating pump pulley in my boat is not turning. Any ideas and suggestions? I want to at least have some knowledge before the mechanic tells me how bad it is :(

Take it to your mechanic and let him tell you what it is when he finds the problem.

Personally this is what I think... Your pulleys have nothing to do with your problem.... I think your battery is weak or battery cables or starter are acting up and you think it's a pulley straining the engine from turning over while starting.

IF you can turn a pulley with your hands, either impeller or circulating... with the belt off, the engine can turn it even easier than you can.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... the belt tension is preset with the tension pulley, not adjustable.

Not true. There is no sprung tensioner on these engines. The belt tension is adjusted by moving the idler pulley. If that's too loose, then the belt will not turn...

Have you tried adjusting the belt tension ACCORDING TO THE FACTORY MANUAL?

And I agree with Don.... :confused:

Chris.......

SRQBOAT

Cadet

Personally this is what I think... Your pulleys have nothing to do with your problem.... I think your battery is weak or battery cables or starter are acting up and you think it's a pulley straining the engine from turning over while starting.

IF you can turn a pulley with your hands, either impeller or circulating... with the belt off, the engine can turn it even easier than you can.

Eric, you were right! It was the alternator all along. Thank you for your great advice and help! Boat is running in time for the 4th! :)

Glad it was an easy fix and your back on the water!!