2005 Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo Water Circulating Pump Pulley Not Turning

SRQBOAT

Cadet
The water circulating pump pulley in my boat is not turning. Any ideas and suggestions? I want to at least have some knowledge before the mechanic tells me how bad it is :(

Re: 2005 Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo Water Circulating Pump Pulley Not Turning

The the pulley won't turn while the belt is removed, then there is only one possible cause... the pump is NG. time to replace.

SRQBOAT

Cadet

The the pulley won't turn while the belt is removed, then there is only one possible cause... the pump is NG. time to replace.

The belt is on and has been recently replaced. Would not having the exact tightness of the belt hinder its turning ability?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remove belt, turn by hand. Cant? Replace pump.

Done. Good news is that it is turning by hand :) without the belt. Help!

Ok ... so what't the real problem... :confused: you started this thread with Water circulating pump pulley not turning, but it does turn, less the belt stopping it... your not going to be able to turn any of the pulleys if the belt is at the correct tension.

SRQBOAT

Cadet

Ok ... so what't the real problem... :confused: you started this thread with Water circulating pump pulley not turning, but it does turn, less the belt stopping it... your not going to be able to turn any of the pulleys if the belt is at the correct tension.

Well unfortunately the boat wont turn on if the pulley isnt working with the belt on it. The pulley turning with out the belt on doesnt do me much good. Is there a way to test the belt tightness or what the engine requirements are? The other pulleys are turning as normal.

So with the belt on the circulating pulley, the pulley becomes frozen and the belt is turning while the pulley is not?

Is that a surpentine belt, as in one long belt with a tension pulley... or do you have a sloted bracket to adjust the tightness of the belt?

SRQBOAT

Cadet

So with the belt on the circulating pulley, the pulley becomes frozen and the belt is turning while the pulley is not? Yes, but now we are noticing that sea water pump pulley is now not turning either. Ugh...

Is that a surpentine belt, as in one long belt with a tension pulley... or do you have a sloted bracket to adjust the tightness of the belt?
A serpentine belt, I am pretty sure. We just replaced it about a month ago, bought one from autozone not the dealer.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So with the belt on the circulating pulley, the pulley becomes frozen and the belt is turning while the pulley is not?

SRQBOAT, You forgot to answer the main question.

SRQBOAT

Cadet

SRQBOAT, You forgot to answer the main question.

I did, but it went into the quoted part. I am new to this forum forgive me. The seawater pump pulley is now not moving. Could it be an impeller issue? This boat is just so hard to get to. No more I/O for us after this one.

Don S

Is the belt moving? What is the serial number of your engine?

So it's the seawater pump not the circulating pump?? Get us the serial number off the engine.... PLEASE.. so we know exactly what you have and can help you out without all this guessing!! Will be on a tag attached to the block.

SRQBOAT

Cadet

Is the belt moving? What is the serial number of your engine?

Yes, because the crankshaft pulley is working, but when it gets to the seawater pump pulley it stops. OW3118837

SRQBOAT

Cadet

so it's the seawater pump not the circulating pump?? Get us the serial number off the engine.... Please.. So we know exactly what you have and can help you out without all this guessing!! Will be on a tag attached to the block.

ow 311837

Don S

Yes, because the crankshaft pulley is working, but when it gets to the seawater pump pulley it stops. OW3118837

If the belt is moving and the sea water pump isn't then that pump has a problem. Pull it off and check it out. If the circulation pump is stopping to, same thing. Without the circulation pump and the seawater pump not turning, you must have had some squealing and overheat problems, right?

Has either pump been leaking? I see you are in Florida, do you boat in salt water? Is the belt tight?

Don S

Yes, because the crankshaft pulley is working, but when it gets to the seawater pump pulley it stops.

Just read this again, what stops? the belt, or the seawater pump pulley?

PS: Your serial number has too many numbers in it after the 0W

SRQBOAT

Cadet

If the belt is moving and the sea water pump isn't then that pump has a problem. Pull it off and check it out. If the circulation pump is stopping to, same thing. Without the circulation pump and the seawater pump not turning, you must have had some squealing and overheat problems, right?

Has either pump been leaking? I see you are in Florida, do you boat in salt water? Is the belt tight?

I think it has to be related to the seawater pump pulley (or impeller). I had to replace it six months ago as well. Not really any overheating as I havent been able to turn it on, but before when I had problems with this it did.

No leaking at all. Yes we are in the saltwater, but the boat sits up on a lift. Belt is tight. I am just going to take everything apart tonight. Much to my dismay! This is the hardest thing to get into.

Just read this again, what stops? the belt, or the seawater pump pulley?
PS: Your serial number has too many numbers in it after the 0W

this it the million dollar question that will get us to the billion dollar answer...??

You may have an entirely different issue going on here. the belt tension is preset with the tension pulley, not adjustable. So by answering that question in bold will help us figure out what type of problem you have.

If the seawater pump pulley is frozen, the belt is STILL TURNING and the pulley is NOT causing friction on the PULLEY and will cause the BELT to SQUEAL like CRAZY while you are trying to start the engine

SRQBOAT

Cadet

this it the million dollar guestion that will get us to the billion dollar answer...??

You may have an entirely different issue going on here. the belt tension is preset with the tension pulley, not adjustable. So by answering that question in bold will help us figure out what type of problem you have.

If the seawater pump pulley is frozen, the belt is STILL TURNING and the pulley is NOT causing friction on the PULLEY and will cause the BELT to SQUEAL like CRAZY while you are trying to start the engine

The belt is not really turning, it starts to turn at the beginning but then stops as the seawater and then circulating pulley aren't turning.

Neither the seawater or circulating pulleys turn when the belt is on.