Gimbal Bearing ? Alpha One - Removal and Installation

g_speran

Seaman
Hello ALCON,
Before I begin, I would like to thank 45Auto for the post located at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364003 on how to remove the Gimbal Bearing. I searched High and Low for good visuals on how to do it. This was a GREAT post. I agree with JustJason in that the above thread should be a sticky in the Adults Only Section.

I would also like to share with other first timers attempting this, the setup I used to get my Gimbal bearing out. I it much like the one in the post mentioned above just a little different. My Gimbal housing was still attached to the boat, so I need something that was light, yet strong to put the 5/8-18 x3’ bolt thru that would not bend, too much, yet was able to be accomplished by one person. Therefore, I decided to use Unistrut Channel. This allowed me to do it by myself and be able to hold it up. In addition, the Unistrut allowed me to go up and around the grease fitting on the bell housing without damaging it. I then drilled a ?” hole in one of the unistrut slots, allowing the 5/8-18 threaded rod to pass thru. I used 2 nuts, a bearing spacer (for clearance) and 2 washers on the topside of the Unistrut and a single washer on the underside of the Unistrut. Then this connected to the bearing puller

IMG00506-20120628-1411.jpgIMG00508-20120628-1412.jpgIMG00509-20120628-1413.jpg

I was able to rent a Rear Axle Bearing puller Set, item # 27129, from AutoZone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Axle-Bearing-Remover-Set/_/N-264m?itemIdentifier=391363_0_0_
IMG00511-20120628-1420.jpg

Although this worked, flawlessly, as 45Auto said it would, it actually ended taking 2 of us to get the Gimbal Bearing out. I would bet that the Gimbal Bearing was as old as the boat (’87) and had never been changed.
Here is a picture of the Gimbal Bearing after it was removed. EXTREEMLY full of dirt

IMG00502-20120628-1407.jpg

message continued below

g_speran

Seaman
Re: Gimbal Bearing ? Alpha One - Removal and Installation

So now onto the questions related to the installation. I have cleaned the Gimbal Bearing housing as much as I can (seen below). Any recommendation on cleaning the splines on the Engine Coupler and cleaning the Engine Coupler itself? As you can see from the images below, it is dirty and needs a good scrub down
IMG00513-20120628-1655.jpgIMG00514-20120628-1655.jpgIMG00515-20120628-1656.jpg

The second question: Do you have any recommendation on, tips, tricks on installing the new Gimbal Bearing. I have purchased an Engine Alignment bar and the Gimbal Bearing Driver. I’m reading, now, on http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalbearingdriver.htm that I should have marked on the engine Alignment bar, behind the drive head, so the alignment tool will not bottom out against the back of the coupler. Unfortunatly, this was not done. Therefore, I am seeking any and all recommendations on reinstalling the Gimbal Bearing.

TIA for your assistance,
Gary

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal Bearing ? Alpha One - Removal and Installation

I agree with JustJason in that the above thread should be a sticky in the Adults Only Section.

It is in the stickies already. Look under homemade special tools. Then item #7

Clean the couple splines with a long wire brush.

When installing the gimbal bearing, just keep it square. DO NOT use a driver that goes into the coupler, or you will damage the splines in the coupler if the alignment is off.