Help what out drive do i have

Jay Curtis

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1980 228 Mercruser SN 5765260

is this OD considered a pre Alpha OD the chiltons says it is a Model 1 or I or does that mean Alpha 1

i need to adjust or replace the lower shift cable and i find all different instructions on the setting of the lower shift cable my Chiltons says 6.25"

i saw a video by Chris iboat member that says 6" for Alpha 1

i saw instructions from a parts supplier that satd to set the length at where ever the shifter is when the od is in forward

my problem is that my spark interupter switch is not working or at least not working at the proper time to let the drive go into neutral

thanks for the help

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help what out drive do i have

i have a 1980 228 Mercruser SN 5765260 is this OD considered a pre Alpha OD the chiltons says it is a Model 1 or I or does that mean Alpha 1

No offense intended, but just so you know, there is no such thing as a "Pre-Alpha" so you will want to remove that from your boating vocabulary. It is becoming a more popular term for some reason in the boating community, but it does not describe a particular drive system in a useful way. What you have is either a #1 or (MR-1) MC-1 or simply "R" (MR) drive, which is the predecessor to the Alpha series. What also becomes important to know, is if your upper unit has a preload pin in the driveshaft. There was a time frame ('82-'83 I believe) where certain drives were being manufactured with or without them, and that will affect your water pump choices. The reason I mention this is because uppers and lowers are interchangeable, and it's possible on an old boat to get an outdrive that someone slapped different parts on. (it happened to me) I don't have the numbers in front of me, but someone will chime in here shortly with your exact model. I hope the above FYI helps in your future searches for info.

Here ya go!

Beginning in 1983 Mercruiser introduced the R/MR/Alpha 1 series of sterndrive models. These units differed greatly from previous years not only in design but also in that the flywheel housing on the engine changed at this point. This creates one of the big break points customers should be familiar with when inquiring about re-powering older boats. Since the flywheel housing changed from 1982 to 1983, you cannot couple a new engine to a pre-1983 sterndrive unit as the rear engine mount spacing differs on the new engine and therefore will not match to the old style inner transom plate. The other difficulty is that the newer 14 inch flywheel utilize a larger coupler that prevents re-using the old flywheel housing on the new engine.

The R/MR/Alpha Generation 1 models began in 1983 and ran production through 1990. The serial numbers for these models ranged from 6225577 Thru 0D469858

The Alpha Generation 2 models were introduced in 1991 and are currently still in production.

'67-'82 MC-1
'83-'84 R-1
1985 MR-1
'86-'91 Alpha 1

Last edited:

i have a 1980 228 Mercruser SN 5765260

is this OD considered a pre Alpha OD the chiltons says it is a Model 1 or I or does that mean Alpha 1

i need to adjust or replace the lower shift cable and i find all different instructions on the setting of the lower shift cable my Chiltons says 6.25"

i saw a video by Chris iboat member that says 6" for Alpha 1

i saw instructions from a parts supplier that satd to set the length at where ever the shifter is when the od is in forward

my problem is that my spark interupter switch is not working or at least not working at the proper time to let the drive go into neutral

thanks for the help

Have a look at attached thumbnail you can click on it 2 or 3 times to enlarge

Attachments

• 091710010.jpg
    091710010.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 6.25 is how you set the old style cable. Are you installing the old style cable or new style cable? I would hope you are installing the new style. Keep one thing in mind when watching videos. The video Chris has is for an Alpha I Gen II drive, not a MC-1 like you have.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's a really nice chart, Eric...thanks for posting!

Jay Curtis

Seaman Apprentice

The 6.25 is how you set the old style cable. Are you installing the old style cable or new style cable? I would hope you are installing the new style. Keep one thing in mind when watching videos. The video Chris has is for an Alpha I Gen II drive, not a MC-1 like you have.

Don

i was trying to adjust the cable that is on it i have only owned the boat for 2 years the cable moves freely

the old owner had the cable replaced and the adjustment measure's about 6.125 and the linkage in the chiltons manual does not really look like the linkage i have so it is a bit confusing

i think i will set the cable at 6.25 and try to follow the chiltons unless you have a better idea

thanks jay

Jay Curtis

Seaman Apprentice

At least use the real manual. Didn't even know Chiltons had a marine manual. and if it's actually Clymers, they are used for knee pads and kindling, not working on your boat.

Here's the OEM manual you can download to your computer. http://www.4shared.com/office/iUNMuxIG/04__Drives_120-260__78-82.html?

Thanks for the help and link that manual says 6" on the lower shift cable so thats a little confusing ,

after reading all the way through it a couple of times i think i get it i will find out tonight

jay