lower shift cable replacement

birdy916

Cadet
hey guys. replacing my lower shift cable on my 1979 mercruiser 898. got everything off and gonna start installing the new stuff but have a few questions. does the washer under the new lever i am gonna put on need to b replaced??

photo 2.jpg

also I see this plastic washer here between the shift shaft and the bell housing. is it supposed to be there?? I cant seem to find part number for it. also if I put it on. the lever has no up and down play at all and is hard but can be turned. if I take it off, there is a little play and it turns nice and smooth.

photo 1.jpg

also which seals are needed to prevent water from going thru the shaft into the lever?

thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: lower shift cable replacement

1. what plastic washer? which lever?
2. There is a plastic washer under the lever in the bell housing, yes it should be there. Part# 12-39116. If it's not damaged, reuse it. And the lever should be effortless with it in place.
3. That horribly black rubber looking thing right at the bottom of the shift shaft, just above the shoe... Shouldn't be there...

There is no seal at the bottom of the shaft, but there is at the top. That big brassy looking thing hanging down into the exhaust cavity, that's the seal carrier.

birdy916

Cadet
Re: lower shift cable replacement

thanks for the reply. yes the plastic washer under the lever in the 1st pic. cant really see it. it looks good with no damage at all. guess I will jus reuse it then.

I will remove the black rubber on top of the shoe.