mercruiser 120 tilt/trim issue -won't go down

edweeds

Recruit
we have a 1970 mercruiser 120 engine 4 cylinder motor. we have never had problems with the tilt/trim before, but now the trim goes up, but it won't go down without some pressure being applied. we replaced the solenoid today, but still is sluggish/stuck when trying to make it go to the down position. please help.

Bigskyacre

Recruit
did you ever find a solution?my 76 120 stopped going down yesterday first time,pump runs but only goes up any ideas? i am a new owner and not familiar with sterndrives thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard, to both of ya's I guess, though ed probably ain't comin' back, it's been awhile,....

Have ya greased the pivot points on the drive,..??
On the trim ram itself, Are the gland nuts, where the rod goes into the tube gettin' "Crusty",..??
Is the pump Fulla oil,..??

steve314159

Recruit
Hey Bondo I really appreciate your attempts to help people like us. I have the same problem, with a 96 or so Alpha one. This past year the boat was kept in the garage over the winter just like always, and when I was getting it ready to go the next year I put the trim up but it wouldn't go down even though the pump motor was obviously spinning. So I saw on here to stand on it and hit the down button to break it loose which I did and it worked mostly. I've cleaned the area around the gland nuts and it was crusty, plenty of oil, pivot points always greased; I always grease everything. So it goes up now and it will go down if I hit down for a few seconds then up for one second then down, and I can get it all the way down pretty easy. So what should I do now? Take the pump out and apart and clean everything or keep lubing and going up and down like 20 more times. Thanks again for your help.