Drain plug?

Franky132

Recruit
It is a 85 merc 5.0 and this is right on the front of the engine to the right of the fuel pump. When i would try to star the engine what i think is water, would come poring out. I looked through the manuals and couldn't find anything that explained what it is. Any info would help. IMG_20120628_133251.jpg

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Drain plug?

That bolt hole is commonly used when installing a new fuel pump. Put a bolt in it to hold the push rod in place, remove bolt after pump install, then replace with a 1/2 inch long bolt with rtv on the threads.

Bondo

Staff member

That bolt hole is commonly used when installing a new fuel pump. Put a bolt in it to hold the push rod in place, remove bolt after pump install, then replace with a 1/2 inch long bolt with rtv on the threads.

Ayuh,... I think yer Right,....

Should be Oil comin' out, not water though...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Wow! learn something new everyday! I wish I woulda known about that bolt trick BEFORE I changed out my fuel pump!!! Maybe next time.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The hose does not appear to have a clamp on it either.No water from that area ,ONLY ENGINE OIL.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

His hose appears to be AN fitings. Better than a clamp, but not acceptable for a closed compartment. Well not USCG anyways. But thats a whole nother issue!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I think the good doctor was referring to the water hose in the top of the picture.... Could he possibly have a water hose issue? looks a little bulged. BTW... I just checked that hole on my 5.0... it does not have a bolt in it, and is not a through hole, so that fuel pump rod trick wont work for me.... nice thought, though. So I doubt Franky is getting anything out of that hole.... Looks to be an engine block mount for ???

Me thinks he has a water hose issue.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didnt even see the lack of hose clamp on the pump! And not all blocks had that hole all the way through. His is leaking however. And no, generally nothing is attached to that hole on boats. Older cars sometimes. Usually not however.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Sounds like we need more input from Franky as to whether or not that hole actually goes all the way through. I think he would notice his oil level dropping over time. Why just notice now? I still think (on the minimal evidence provided) that the liquid there in those threads is residual from the "other" issue.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It looks to me like oil and water is on everything there. Oil from the hole and water from above.