water pump leaking

tbirdkidd

Seaman
I have a 1996 7.4L Mercruiser 330hp with a Bravo 3 drive the water pump has a steady leak going into the bilge although the motor is not overheating. Does anyone know if there is a quick fix (tried tighting bolts) why it is leaking or do I need a rebiuld.

Thanks tbirdkidd

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: water pump leaking

If it has the thick plastic housing like my does, those can crack or one of the two o-rings can be worn or the faceplate not on seating right anymore.

Just buy the kit which includes all the pieces.

The only other thing I can think of would be the surface of the pulley itself where the housing bolts to.

Mark

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Raw water

Another question, where exactly is the leak coming from? The mating flange between the pump body and drive housing, from the front pulley area, from the hose connections, from the pump body itself? The pump kit (plastic) is pretty cheap and has all the parts / gaskets / "O" rings needed to fix leaks / rebuild the pump, unless it's leaking thru the drive assy seal, itself. As stated, if it's the 1 piece plastic body, the body may be cracked.

Kit can be found on this site: http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Ki...6509860--session_id.778951141--view_id.172770

And yes, if it's leaking, it's gotta be fixed, for many obvious reasons, other than it may / will get worse.

If you have the plastic body pump, one manufacturer has a bronze body conversion available, as a viable option for around a buck and a half.

tbirdkidd

Seaman

Another question, where exactly is the leak coming from? The mating flange between the pump body and drive housing, from the front pulley area, from the hose connections, from the pump body itself? The pump kit (plastic) is pretty cheap and has all the parts / gaskets / "O" rings needed to fix leaks / rebuild the pump, unless it's leaking thru the drive assy seal, itself. As stated, if it's the 1 piece plastic body, the body may be cracked.

Kit can be found on this site: http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Ki...6509860--session_id.778951141--view_id.172770

And yes, if it's leaking, it's gotta be fixed, for many obvious reasons, other than it may / will get worse.

If you have the plastic body pump, one manufacturer has a bronze body conversion available, as a viable option for around a buck and a half.

thanks for the help will order the kit