fuel pump not running

jimking

Cadet
Re: fuel pump not running

ok, I know there is a purple wire that comes off the starter solenoid. if that wire has come off that could that possibly be a reason for it to not be working right? also if it's broke somewhere inside the wiring harnes and i would have to replace that wire where would I need to run it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is not a purple wire on the starter solenoid. Check it closely, it's a Purple/yellow striped wire. There better not be a purple wire on your solenoid.

jimking

Cadet

also, when looking down into the engine compartment at the motor which side would the starter be on?

Don S

Starboard side.

jimking

Cadet

ok this is weird but kinda funny. i checked the purple wire on the + terminal of the coil and I had power, checked the purple wire on the back of the alternator and i had power, I went back down to the oil pressure switch and checked to solid purple wire and low and behold I had power! with a closer look at the plug ends of the wires I noticed that they were greened over with corrosion. so I cleaned them up some and jumped the two together and turned the ignition key to the run position and the pump kicked on. so I hooked the wires back to the oil pressure switch and the motor cranked and ran, and the fuel pump was working. so i'm guessing that was the problem the hole time. the wires going to the pressure switch just weren't getting a good enough connection

Don S

Corroded and loose terminals are always a problem.