sterndrive reinstallation

Hiskid

Cadet
Mercruiser MCM 170 with Alpha One:

I removed the sterndrive yesterday due to lack of positive engagement into reverse. My intention was to install a new shift drive cable. I would appreciate advice about any additional items to check/replace before reinstalling the sterndrive. Do all the seals and gaskets needed come in a kit, or do I ask for them individually? Perhaps just a link to a different thread is all I need. I can't seem to find the great info I had run across while researching my overheating problem (below).

I'll try to be brief. Boat was used primarily in fresh, with occasional salt water usage. Developed an overheating problem and sat 2 yrs. The impeller was replaced, along with some ignition components. A 45 minute lake run showed ~130-150F~ on the dash gauge. Acceptable performance with the exception of Reverse. Back home with a cool engine, the metal "Tank" above the exhaust manifold is empty, but overflow reservoir is at the "full" mark. Bad radiator cap? Change the thermostat too, for good measure?

Thanks ahead of time.

-Rick

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: sterndrive reinstallation

You need to check the gimbal bearing, make sure it is perfectly smooth. Grease the U-joints, and driveshaft splines. you need a drive instillation kit 27-94996Q2, it has gaskets and O-rings that you need. Closely check the driveshaft bellows (you will be changing the shift cable bellows with the new cable). If the reservoir is down and the expansion tank is full, check the hose going to the tank, may have a leak. Do a cooling system pressure test if you get a chance, you can borrow the tools from Autozone. Thermostat sounds OK.

Hiskid

Cadet

Stoneyloam, I appreciate your response

If my local marina doesn't carry Merc. brand for the kit you mentioned, is that a big deal? A thread elsewhere strongly recommends Merc. brand for cable replacement.

I'll also check the other items you mentioned. If the hose to the expansion tank is fine, should I suspect the cap. I thought the inner "spring" portion was supposed to allow the coolant to be drawn back into the metal tank as the engine cooled to keep the engine coolant completely topped when cooled down. Perhaps I misunderstand its function.

Does the Autozone pressure tool actually pressurize the cooling system, or just the cap?

btw, we lived in Dunkirk 1999-2000.

thanks, Rick

Hiskid

Cadet

Now having trouble getting the shift cable end out of the shift slide in the sterndrive. It's currently soaking in WD-40. Anybody have suggestions?

Hiskid

Cadet

I'm right at the edge of my abilities with the sterndrive reinstall right now. After several hours trying to get the old drive shift cable out of the shift slide (trying to reuse it), my new Merc. cable arrived and...a new slide was included! If only. Overall, I really am grateful...

Btw: gimbal bearings feel smooth, got the drive install kit from your P/N, also decided on all new bellows. Local shop doesn't have or use bellow adhesive (recommended in Seloc manual); just clamp 'em on. Comments?

I can't wait to put the cooling system advice to use. Just as soon as I get this sterndrive figured out.

If any more ideas come up about cooling, sterndrive, etc., send them on. I hope to put them to use soon.

Thanks
-Rick

Hiskid

Cadet

Stonyloam,

Now that I'm back in town, I imagine I'll soon be doing the cooling sys. pressure test you recommended. The followup runs after sterndrive reinstall appear to be fine as pertains to the sterndrive itself. Thanks for the help there.

I've started a new thread labeled "mercruiser coolant loss" pertaining to the next issue.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I'm right at the edge of my abilities with the sterndrive reinstall right now. After several hours trying to get the old drive shift cable out of the shift slide (trying to reuse it), my new Merc. cable arrived and...a new slide was included! If only. Overall, I really am grateful...

Btw: gimbal bearings feel smooth, got the drive install kit from your P/N, also decided on all new bellows. Local shop doesn't have or use bellow adhesive (recommended in Seloc manual); just clamp 'em on. Comments?

I can't wait to put the cooling system advice to use. Just as soon as I get this sterndrive figured out.

If any more ideas come up about cooling, sterndrive, etc., send them on. I hope to put them to use soon.

Thanks
-Rick

First thing I would do is get rid of the Seloc manual and get a good manual online from this forum.....just sayin.