mercruiser 140hp 3.0 ?

bottlefed281

Cadet
hey guys, new to the site and boating world, well been reading here on the site for two days now but jus did register..:) anyways like i said new to the marine world and ive done my best to read, read, and read some more but still having issues with my boat.
its a 1984 conroy with a mercruiser 140hp 3.0L i/o engine 181 c.i.
had the boat out last two days seems to do okay, thought it would have more power but it runs ok, pulled into the dock to unload some kids and take my mother out on the boat and we got everyone switched around, tried to start the engine and it fired a couple times but never started..thought maybe we ran out of gas had it out a good 2hrs or so (the fuel gauge doesnt work..:mad: sometimes at a certain rpm it kicks in but it kept reading 3/4 tank so i wasnt to trustworthy of it, anywho put more gas in and still wouldnt start, now it doesnt even to seem to wanna fire, checked for spark at the coil and there was one spark then after that nothin...been messin with it all day today (wore out between running to boat and back to the computer to this site reading) checked ign switch has 12v and 12v when key is switched, getting 12v to both sides of coil?? did notice the points were together and when bumping motor didnt seperate...adjusted it to .020 ..the tag on motor says .016-.025...cleaned the points and figured for sure that was the problem...but no spark still :mad: checked voltage across interupt switch 12v and dropped when closed...assume its workin right...tried running a 12v source to positive side of coil and still wouldnt start...running out of ideas..no safety tether that ive seen anywhere, pretty sure there isnt one....any help in a direction to go would be aprreciated, i was leaning torwards coil, or condenser..
also where can i get a condenser they arent much and figured i would change it anyways
and seen on another thread a coil from autozone c819 is the part number, off a old nova II i think it was would be sufficient in seeing if that indeed is the problem and its cheap
thanks again in advance (sorry so long)

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: mercruiser 140hp 3.0 ?

Hold the coil wire close to bare metal on the engine, then manually open/close the points and see if the coil fires, it should fire when you open the points. If no spark, drag a points file across the points to clean them off and retest. Let us know if it will produce spark doing this.

If it hasn't has a tune-up recently, I would replace the points, condenser, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Other maintenance items; fuel filter(s), oil filter, oil, drive lube.

I would stay away from auto parts stores for boat parts. I've heard too many auto parts counter guys down play "marine" parts, too many times... Oh yeah, this $25 auto starter will work just as good as that $150 marine starter. Well, yeah, it will work, but it could also blow up the boat :eek: If the auto parts store carries marine parts, then that would work, I know NAPA carries marine parts.

bottlefed281

Cadet

lol, got ya on the auto store for marine parts....when you say coil wire, you mean the plug wire coming off the coil? hold the end that goes to the dist. to the motor? or do i have it all backwards

bottlefed281

Cadet

I fig. It out today, the screw that holds the points assembly in place had backed out and the points were making constant contact and it burnt the terminal into, new condenser, new points and good as gold