Motor will not crank! Need help/suggestions please!!!

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a I/O 5.0 liter merc engine with an alpha one drive in a 21 Bayliner.

I went to start the motor and nothing happened. The boat started great, with no problems, 2weeks ago and ran beautifully. Not a single problem 2 weeks ago. We flushed it out and put it away properly. Now when I turn the key nothing happens. I can hear one click when the key is turned but nothing else. The click sounds like its coming from the back top of the motor. The batteries are fully charged, there's oil in the motor and water running through it via the garden hose. I don't know if this is related or the cause, but we have had ALOT of rain recently. When I removed the engine cover I found some water on the top of the motor. It wasn't a huge amount, but there was definitely some water collected there. Could that have shorted out something? What is the one click I hear towards the rear/top of the motor?

What can I do to troubleshoot?

PEASE HELP. I WANT TO BE ON THE WATER :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Motor will not crank! Need help/suggestions please!!!

Hello all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a I/O 5.0 liter merc engine with an alpha one drive in a 21 Bayliner.

I went to start the motor and nothing happened. The boat started great, with no problems, 2weeks ago and ran beautifully. Not a single problem 2 weeks ago. We flushed it out and put it away properly. Now when I turn the key nothing happens. I can hear one click when the key is turned but nothing else. The click sounds like its coming from the back top of the motor. The batteries are fully charged, there's oil in the motor and water running through it via the garden hose. I don't know if this is related or the cause, but we have had ALOT of rain recently. When I removed the engine cover I found some water on the top of the motor. It wasn't a huge amount, but there was definitely some water collected there. Could that have shorted out something? What is the one click I hear towards the rear/top of the motor?

What can I do to troubleshoot?

PEASE HELP. I WANT TO BE ON THE WATER :)

Ayuh,....Pull the spark plugs, 'n see if it'll roll over.... Mighta hydro-locked....

If no water is in the cylinders,... Look for corroded wirin' ends in the startin' circuit...

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. What is hydro locked and how would this have happened? Rain?

When you say starting circuit. Do you mean the starter or the ignition?

Thanks you both for the replies

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Click is the starter solenoid engaging.

I 2nd the above, check battery connections and make sure its still charged.
Charged two weeks ago doesn't mean charged now. All batteries die eventually....

Hope this helps

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hydrolocked = 1 or more cylinder full of water. Piston can't compress water so the piston becomes stuck, or therefore locked. Since its locked by water, its hydrolocked..

Hope this helps

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

ok I understand Hydrolock, but how would this happen. There's no way rain could have entered the cylinders, but I can pull the plugs and see what happens.

Could I have a bad solenoid caused by the rain?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Follow the diagnostic provided. That works better than darts from miles away. You could have a bad solenoid. Could be hydroed. Could be a dead battery. Could be a bad cable. Maybe just loose? Start testing, and then post the results. I vote loose connection at battery, no starter, no key, no battery. Yep battery. Maybe.

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a Plate.

Get it wet.

You will see some (not a lot) water drip from the bottom even though you only let the spray of water hit the top (surface tension)

Same thing happens to your spark arrestor (air cleaner looking thing) when you leave your engine uncovered in the rain.
(The example of the plate refers to the top of the spark arrestor).

The drips go right down the carb and collect in the cylinders.......

As Failproof said, follow the diagnostic, post results and you will get the best help.

We can't see/touch/feel/smell your engine..

Hope this helps...

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all!! will look into this weekend

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

Silly question, but the boats starting system is all DC power right? If I want to troubleshoot with a meter instead of a test light, what readings should I look for?

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

Is my boat starting system DC power?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it's DC. You also have to use the meter properly or your readings will be meaningless. Set your meter on DC Volts, to check voltage, you MUST put the negative lead of your meter to a good clean ground.

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

Ok guys. Thanks for all the help. After following Don S's instructions I was able to determine it was a bad slave solenoid. $22 later I was back in business.

After I got the boat running my tach started acting funny. When the boat was at idle it was indicating 3k RPM's and kinda bounced around a little. Is this associated or is this a totally different issue that I should start another post? Someone suggested it could be that my coil is going bad. Yes? No? Any suggestions?